Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 8th, 2013 13:00

1350cnw loses network

My 1350cnw is lovely and prints beautifully.  But at irregular intervals it just goes AWOL.  "print error" type messages.  I can fix it by reinstalling, but that takes quite a lot of time and having done that  about once a month I'm getting annoyed.

It's connected via ethernet cable to my home network, which comprises an XP desktop and a W7 laptop.  When it stops it stops on both, and repair requires re-installation on both.  The pc's still communicate over the network, but the network doesn't find the printer.

The trouble shooter just leads me to "can't fix it".

Any advice?

PS Apologies as appropriate for posting this message under "Customer Care" before discovering that printers aren't devices, just peripherals.

5 Posts

July 26th, 2013 07:00

Hi Zohaib,

It did help.  Your suggestion was right on the button. I found the printer had different IP addresses in a) the router, b) itself.  Fixing that was easy and it's now set to keep same address.

I've re-installed printer to two pc's and everything is lovely.  Thank you very much for the guidance.

Two observations which might be useful to someone: a)  I was surprised that I still had to reinstall the printer after sorting out the IP address.  Would that be expected?     b)  I have no recollection of ever seeing any requirement to fix an IP address, either in the Dell info or relating to anything else.

But my problem is fixed, again many thanks.

953 Posts

July 9th, 2013 08:00

Hi JJ48,

Where is this error message “print error” being displayed? Is it on the printer’s LCD or on the computer? If the error is displayed on the printer LCD, what is the exact text of the error message?

5 Posts

July 15th, 2013 09:00

The error messages are on my screen.  I have a shortcut icon to the "Control panel, Printers and faxes" which reports "This document failed to print"  When I open the Printers and faxes window it shows Status of the first listed document as  "Error- Printing".  When I cancel that document the window shows "printing" for the next, until it changes to  "error-printing".

The printer is on permanent standby.  It fails to respond in any way, ie the display doesn't light up.  It does not show any error messages.  If I prompt it to wake it appears to be perfectly normal.

When I call for a print my PC shows completely normal behaviour, ie a window opens, an activity bar scrolls etc.  Just no response from the printer.

( I do apologise for the delay in this response, events overtake me.)

Regards,  jj48

953 Posts

July 17th, 2013 03:00

Hi jj48,

This issue seems to be with the network. To prevent your router from giving the printer different IP addresses (and possibly loose connection), it is recommended that you configure the router to always give the printer the same IP address. That process differs from router to router, refer to the wireless router documentation or contact the wireless router manufacturer, for more information on accessing the router, refer to the Opening the Login Page of the Router.

Hope this helps.

953 Posts

July 28th, 2013 04:00

Hi jj48,

I am glad to know the issue has been fixed. Yes, this is the expected behavior of the printer as the same IP Address remains stored unless a new IP Address is assigned.

Please feel free to contact us in case you have any further queries.

No Events found!