Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2008 18:00

1710N Laser Printer - Strange Odor

After a little over a year in use, my 1710N laser printer suddlenly started emitting a strong electrical (burning?) ordor when it's turned on.  Is it toast?

Actually, it smells more like lighter fluid (if anyone remembers what that smells like)

Message Edited by Shareholder08 on 02-02-2008 02:44 PM

1.7K Posts

February 4th, 2008 12:00

A fuser is the part of the laser printer that permanent adhere's the toner to the paper. It uses heat (350°F+) to heat-up the toner as it passes through a roller assy to press the heated toner into the paper fibers. Newer laser printers sometimes utilize some different technology to do this, but the principle is still the same...... heat + pressure.

No, but I'm thinking about ordering and trying a new toner cartridge.  Think it will make a difference?  BTW, what is a "fuser"?  Thanks

37 Posts

Have you recently replaced the fuser assembly? Sometimes when these are replaced they have a smell.

1.7K Posts

Sounds like your fuser may have overheated. I'd call Dell tech support and get a service call setup. They treat things like "has a burnt smell when I turn it on" very seriously.
No Events found!