Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 26th, 2013 21:00

1720dn operator panel light load paper/flashing remove output wont clear

My 1720dn is flashing on the operator panel light, but there is nothing in the output.  I have tried to reset the panel and it still flashes and will not allow printing.

Any idea's on how to correct the problem?

2 Posts

March 28th, 2014 15:00

The problem is with the Output Sensor of this Dell 1720dn laser printer.  The Output Sensor arm, a little plastic flap on the right side of the paper output tray (facing machine) had been physically broken off.  No other post addressed this issue of a broken output sensor arm, though others mentioned cleaning the sensor and one mentioned unplugging it.  Being removed, the sensor arm was unable to "return" to its gravity-assisted position indicating an empty output tray.  

Solution as follows:  Unplug the sensor from the IC panel.  Removed the right-side panel (attached without fasteners, can be popped off carefully.  Remove the metal plate covering the IC panel.  Unplug the three-strand wire bundle coming from the Output Tray Sensor.  Replace covers.  Solution complete.

1 Message

November 16th, 2014 08:00

Just want thank you for the remedy. It looks like it is working. Once the plastic flap had been broken off it is impossible locate its original position.

Thanks again

249 Posts

July 30th, 2013 02:00

Hi rachelford,

Good day and welcome to the community!

Thanks for reaching out to us. We can run some printer diagnostics. Below is how to access the Printer Diagnostics Menu.

To access the Printer Diagnostics menu, perform the following steps:

• Turn off the printer.
  • Open the access cover and turn on the printer while pressing and holding the Cancel button.
  • Close the cover when the error light displays.
  • Print the menu page by pressing and holding the Continue button until the lights flash.

Perform the following steps as needed to navigate the menu structure and make changes:

1. Press and release Cancel to advance through the menus and items to the desired item.
  2. Press and release Continuet o advance to the desired value.
  3. Press and hold Continue until all the lights cycle to perform the function or to save the value.
  4. Press and release Cancel until all the lights cycle to return to the Homemenu.
  5. Turn the printer off to exit the Printer Diagnostics menu.

Let me know if this helps identify the issue. Glad to help.

Thanks and Regards,

249 Posts

July 31st, 2013 01:00

Hi rachelford,

Doing a follow up. If further help would be needed, just let me know and I'm glad to assist.

Thanks and Regards,

2 Posts

March 28th, 2014 12:00

I have the same issue.  Seeking resolution of the problem.  Does Dell repair these?  

1 Message

October 19th, 2014 14:00

Thanks for the advice! The flap on my sensor had got jammed down so nothing would print. After lots of cleaning and changing the tray your mention of the Output Sensor provided me with the answer: a quick tap and waggle and all seems fine now! Thanks. Luke

1 Message

January 22nd, 2015 13:00

I TRIED TO RESET THE ERROR ' REMOVE OUTPUT' BUT NO HELP. PLEASE ADVISE ANY OTHER STEP.

THANKS & REGARDS,

MKANSARI

1 Message

September 10th, 2016 11:00

This was a simple solution and is recommended for those that are a little in the know.  There are 3 wire clips in the IC panel that have 3 wires going to them.  It is the one on the top to the right.  It took a couple of tries to get rid of the software so it had to be rebooted several times, but it worked like a charm. This is the simplest solution thanks very much.

2 Posts

July 28th, 2020 16:00

Brilliant @kcevanson!  the Dell 1720dn is built like a tank and expect to get another 5 years out of it!

September 1st, 2022 07:00

Fantastic !  Printer again works like the old tank that it is.  Almost dumped it for a new one but really didn't want to.  Followed instructions and back good as new !!  Sad that a fantastic, tireless, printer can be so messed up by such a small piece of plastic.  Thanks Again !!!

No Events found!