Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2009 13:00

5100cn driver not retaining settings

Well I just searched through about half (115) the pages in here on the Dell 5100cn color laserjet printer and still haven't hit on my particular problem. Many are close but not quite and the solutions to the problems that are close have not lead me to the answer. My problem you ask...

Since it is too confusing for some users to actually change the settings on the MPF tray when they want to print there we have set up the same printer three times on the printer server. One to use the MPF to print on Plain 1, one to use labels, and one for envelopes. And so far this has worked great for everyone but the person who uses it the most!

For some reason, no matter how I set the printer/s up on her PC it defaults the MPF tray to Plain 1. I have changed it, clicked apply, blah, blah, blah, and when you open it up again it is set to Plain 1. I have set them up over the network (as all the others are), and I have set them up locally using a Standard TCP/IP port. I cannot set it up directly attached to her PC because it is a printer that is needed on the network and so even if it does work that  way it cannot be used that way.

Now when I initially set up others, theirs defaulted to Plain 1 but I just when in and change it, applied the settings and that was it. I have checked the settings on the printer both at the printer (front panel) and through the web-based administation page. I have checked the drivers on the print server. I have checked them from her applications and through her printer page (which are the ones on the print server when the printer is added as a network printer correct?). All but hers remain as set and function as intended. 

I even tried removing all of those printers from her machine, checking for any locally installed drivers, setting her privledges to local admin level, reinstalling in reverse order (so that envelopes was the first to install just to see if that first install was setting some kind of default on her machine), and still no joy. I have tried one group at a time (first network setup, delete all, then tried TCP/IP local setup), tired combinations of networked and local. You name it, I think I have probably tried it. They all start as Plain 1 and even when changed revert immediately back to Plain 1.

At this point I don't even know what to susect as the problem. I even thought maybe it was residual somewhere from all the install and deletes but this hasn't worked from the start. On the surface it seems like a driver issue but since we all have the same drivers for the same printer on the same network , many on the same make and model of PC and the same permissions/security level for the users. I just can't see how hers is different. I've even removed them and set them up locally (TCP/IP port) on a few other machines just to test and again, they all work as they should except hers.

One last twist (and what led me to believe it was a user permission level problem), if I log in to the PC and setup the printers, change the settings it retains them. But when I log back in as her, even with elevated privledges, they all revert back to Plain 1.?!?!?! I've checked Windows forums in boht OS and AD and I am not seeing anything that even comes close to this so I thought I'd check her to see if anyone else has had a similar issue.

Any help, even if it's just a thought on where the problem is originating from, would be greatly appreciated. Oh, all are Windows XP SP3 boxes. Al Dell, some laptops, some desktops. She is a Desktop Optiplex GX 260.

1.7K Posts

March 18th, 2009 14:00

Excellent description of the problem (a lot to digest), but I think the best clue is in your 2nd to last paragraph.

Golden rule for (Dell) Printers: Application overrides Driver Settings overrides Printer Settings. A definite order of precedence.

If I'm not mistaken, different users would have different profiles which would present a different scenario for each user that could login at the same system. You said that...... you logged into her system, the settings worked fine. She logs in, they are "reverted".

Could it be a case where your settings are following you (different user profile)? What happens if she could login on another machine? Is it messed up there too? And if the normal user logs back in?

I'm thinking you may have an issue with a user profile or an office template. Are your applications server or locally served?

YOU DO have an interesting problem here. Not sure if I planted some birdseed here or threw you out to left field.

Good luck.

4 Posts

March 19th, 2009 06:00

Ah, user profiles, I hadn't thought of that. Not sure how or why that would be affecting it but it certainly part of the picture and could be playing a role.

Great idea to have her log into another computer that is working and see what happens. Sometimes I just can't see the forest for the trees!

Most of the applications (and the ones she is printing from) are local.

Thank you llynster, you have given me some, if nothing else, avenues of investigation previously unthought of. I'll let you know how it goes.

4 Posts

March 20th, 2009 11:00

I am almost too embarrassed to post, that whole forest for the trees thing. We had set the settings in the document but had forgotten to click "Save". :emotion-10: Yeah, stupid, I know. So we got all her labels set and her template set so she should not have anymore problems.

But, although this allows her to print labels it hasn't really fixed the initial issue. If I ever find a cause and a solution I'll return her to post the fix so if anyone down the road is pulling their hair out it might help.

Thank you again Llynster for your quick response and food for thought. It was helpful and greatly appreciated.

1.7K Posts

March 20th, 2009 12:00

Glad to have helped.

Believe me...... I've been there too. :emotion-2:

No Events found!