Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2009 17:00

966 all in one printer

I have my printer set up wireless. I can copy but I can not scan because the printer is asking for a PIN? I can not use the fax feature also?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 18th, 2009 19:00

Iseeu2,

How cute. First, open the Dell All-In-One Center. Click on scanning and copying. Change network settings and change it to a PIN you want to remember or uncheck the box, then you will NOT need a PIN.

Faxing, I don't have a Fax Printer on my computer anymore. I went to Vista and if I want to fax, I have to manually send the document from the printer or I have to now fax from my computer modem.

Rick

33 Posts

February 19th, 2009 12:00

Rick,

I tryed 2 times to enter a pin restarted my pc. I entered the 4 digit pin & it says the pin is invalid for the computer selected. I also tryed with the box unchecked for no pin. I opened Dell all in one center, clicked scanning, selected scan on my 966 al in one printer & I get the letter D in the white box? I think the DSL in line filter might be shot & that will affect my fax from working.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 19th, 2009 18:00

iseeu2,

When you open the Dell All-In-One Center. Click on scanning and copying. Change network settings you will see the PIN number the printer has. If there is a hidden PIN, the default is 3355(Dell).

If you're looking for the fax PIN, scroll down on the printer window to setup, Change fax default settings, Ringing and answering, Pickup code.

Your DSL setup should look like

wall > DSL modem/router > wireless router(if any) > wired/wireless

DSL. Everything phones, answering machines, faxes, etc..., need a DSL Filter. Everything except the DSL Modem/router itself.

You may share a DSL Filter.

wall > DSL Filter > splitter > multiple devices

Rick

33 Posts

February 20th, 2009 08:00

I opened the Dell All In One Center & there is no pin shown. I tryed the daufalt 3355 & that won't work? The settings on the fax is fine I am going to buy a new DSL in-line filter to see if that's the problem because it was working fine before.

33 Posts

February 21st, 2009 18:00

Today I got a new  DSL in-line filter & conected it to fax of the Dell all in one & it gives me no dial tone. So as of now I have the pnone connected direct to my VOIP box.

Any sugestions? 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 21st, 2009 22:00

iseeu2,

I see now what the problem is. Fax machines need the old analog phone lines, one with a dial tone. If you need need a dial tone for the fax, you must contact the phone company and ask them about this. The only other option is to send faxes via third party software. I prefer email whenever possible, just as quick and cheaper. I have a 964 that can fax but I rarely use it and when I do, I send only. I do NOT want faxes at my home.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2009 16:00

iseeu2,

I can tell you how to get the scanning issue working, but I didn't realize you had the problem. It looked like you were just havin an issue with sending a fax. NO Fax machine will work with VOIP unless the phone company has a way for this to work.

To install the printer properly, the best way is to follow the instructions below. First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

I recommend that you use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings for the best communications.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers, you'll be prompted when to connect your printer.

When finished, install the latest firmware for the 966 printer.

You may also need to read this,  

How Do I Connect a Dell™ Wireless Printer to a Wireless Network

Choose your printer. Beneath your printer, select your operating system. You'll be redirected to another page. Then click on show all steps. It will walk you through the installation process.

Rick

33 Posts

I am thinking if the fax & the scanning features will not work on the Dell 966 it might be on it's way out.  I found out I can use the scanner as long as I connect the USB cable from the printer to the computer. The other thing could be that my VOIP phone adapter with router might be going bad, It works with incomming & outgoing calls right now. I'm going to see if I can borrow a fax machine from a friend & conect it to my system to see if it works?

33 Posts

This is what I got when I tryed to download .net framework [02/22/09,19:53:44] Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
[02/22/09,19:54:41] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0a is not installed.

I know VOIP does not support fax but it worked for me ever scince I got my Dell 966.

33 Posts

February 22nd, 2009 17:00

I tryed to download 3 of the .Net Framework links you sent me & all I kept getting is errors. I have service pack 3 on my computer right now.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2009 17:00

33 Posts

February 22nd, 2009 18:00

The link you sent me is not working so I went to Microsoft windows update & I have .Net 2.0 framework service pack 2, .Net 3.0 framework service pack 2 & .Net 3.5 framework sp1 installed in my computer right now. I will check again to see if there is any more updates with Microsoft.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2009 18:00

iseeu2,

Go to Windows Updates, click on custom and download everything there that says .net framework.

Rick

33 Posts

February 22nd, 2009 21:00

No luck after the downloads & updates. I can only use the scanning from my PC if the USB cable is canected to the printer. It gives a Host PC. If i unplug it I can not use it wireless?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 23rd, 2009 01:00

iseeu2,

You disconnected the printer. Ran the patch until it prompted you to restart the computer. Installed the proper drivers and connected the printer, when prompted, correct? You never stated the make and model of your computer was never mentioned. We have a few computers that have an issue with the AMD USB Audio Driver Filter and we also found that there also can be an issue with NVIDIA's Network Access Manager, so please check to see if your computer has any of these programs in the control panel. If you have a laptop, you may just have a problem now with the USB ports and if it's a desktop, I need to know because posting my fix for laptops and desktops, the keyborad and mouse can stop working, so we have to be careful with this.

Rick

Edited to change computer to printer, must have had a long day.

No Events found!