Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2008 16:00

AIO 962 Vista Issue

In Vista Business SP1, using the latest Dell software, the AIO 962 will not work with my Dell Latitude D820.  The printer is recognized when you connect it via USB, and it installs, but when you try to print you get a "communication not available" error telling you to "enable bidirectional" printing.  Of course, bidirectional printing is greyed out for some reason, and even test pages don't print.  Suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 21st, 2008 17:00

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Restart your computer.

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers from here. Install the Vista 32-bit drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on).

Now download and install the latest firmware for the 962 printer.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Message Edited by PudgyOne on 07-21-2008 02:02 PM

19 Posts

July 21st, 2008 17:00

Did as you instructed, still no joy.

Got a C++ runtime error at the end of the driver installation specifying dlbxpswx.exe and "abnormal program termination".  The printer appears installed, but still gives the same error when printing.

Also, the firmware update fails saying "Failed to find a driver installed for this machine."

19 Posts

July 21st, 2008 18:00

The printer installation causes the runtime error...

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 21st, 2008 18:00

Fix the runtime error message. Then install the printer. The firmware will not install untill the printer is installed.

What is a runtime error?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 21st, 2008 19:00

Here is another post of someone with Vista and the 962 printer. Installed for them. Which leads me to think it has something with your operating system. Do you have all of Windows Updates? Recommended ones, also? Do NOT have Windows update, update your drivers for you.

If your computer is updated, then maybe the system needs repaired.

Try inserting the Vista disk. Start, run, type

sfc /scannow          (space between the c and /)

hit enter. This will repairs your system.

You can also try...

start, run, type

chkdsk /r     (space between the k and /)

Restart the computer. This will also repair the system.

19 Posts

July 21st, 2008 20:00

1: The post you linked to is marked as solved, but the thread starter didn't actually say it resolved his/her issue

2:  I'm running Vista Ultimate SP1, so perhaps SP1 is the cause of the issue.

3:  You are a little quick to advise me to repair Vista - you realise that repairing can often cause more problems than it resolves, don't you?

4:  It is abundantly clear that the problem is with a Dell provided driver/application, as the error even names it (dlbxpswx.exe).  I don't know what you're so quick to blame Vista when there are no other issues with the OS

5:  Finally, this is a brand new installation of Vista with very few apps installed.  All of my drivers are up to date and OS updates are all applied.

I appreciate your help, though I know I don't sound like it above! :)

1.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2008 15:00

sc456a

Is this 32 bit Vista?

19 Posts

July 22nd, 2008 15:00

Jimmy:  Yes

1.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2008 16:00

I tried to install the driver on my vista box but without the printer it won't let me finish. I'll be in Round Rock tomorrow and I'll see if I can get a hold of one the try and reproduce your issue.

19 Posts

July 22nd, 2008 17:00

Please make sure they try it on Vista SP1, we happen to be using Business edition.  Thanks Jimmy!

19 Posts

July 23rd, 2008 22:00

I get two errors.  This is the one that appears after software installation:

I get this error when trying to update the firmware:

1.5K Posts

July 23rd, 2008 22:00

sc456a

Our engineers want to know the exact error message.

19 Posts

August 11th, 2008 17:00

Jimmy:

Any word on this?

August 11th, 2008 22:00

Thanks for your support the advice you gave was better than there tech support. I am having issues still makeing the printer work on a network. The machine the printer is on is an older machine running xp pro, any advice.

August 11th, 2008 23:00

Sorry... I have a dell 962 on a Vostro 1700 using Vista 32 bit as a OS.... Your post for the fix of 962 was great the drivers worked great.

I have an older machine with XP as an OS with the printer shared, the printer works with the other machines but not the machine with Vista.

Thanks,

Forerunner

No Events found!