Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2012 18:00

Are Printer Drivers Required for All Networked Computers?

I have an old Dell XPS T450 running Windows XP SP3 that prints just fine to an old HP LaserJet 3150 all-in-one.  They are connected with a parallel cable.

I recently purchased a laptop running Windows 7.  However, HP has not and will not create a Windows 7 driver for the HP 3150.

1. Is there some way to network my Windows 7 laptop, my Dell XPS T450, and my printer so that I can print from my laptop, or

2. I am correct to conclude that each individual computer in a network must have appropriate print drivers in order to print to a networked printer?

Thanks in advance.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 3rd, 2012 18:00

barkupatree2002,

Try reading...

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP This works both ways.

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

February 11th, 2012 12:00

PudgyOne,

Thanks for the informative link.

However, I am still confused about print drivers.

Does each computer in a network need to have installed on it a print driver that is BOTH (a) designed for the network printer and (b) compatible with the operating system of the computer on which the print driver is installed?

If the above is true then I will not be able to print from my new Windows 7 laptop because HP has not produced a print driver for my printer that is compatible with Windows 7.  Users of my printer have looked high and low for such a driver with no luck.

Is my reasoning correct?

February 12th, 2012 00:00

barkupatree2002,

The host computer needs to have bothe 32-bit and 64-bit drivers to be able to communicate with the computers trying to print. The Printer drivers need to be installed on each computer. The basic of sharing a Printer on a Network explains this and may also help.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 12th, 2012 12:00

barkupatree2002,

Yopu could still be ok. Did you try using the XP drivers in the XP Compatibility mode

A printer spools the print jobs on each computer before sending it to the printer.

Rick

February 12th, 2012 12:00

PudgyOne

Guess I am out of luck.  HP has not produced a print driver for my printer that is compatible with Windows 7 (or Windows Vista either).  Absent buying a new printer, I will only be able to print from my old Dell running Windows XP.

Thanks again for your help.

February 19th, 2012 18:00

No luck using XP drivers in Compatibility Mode.

Time for a new printer.

Thanks for all your help.

No Events found!