Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

January 24th, 2021 07:00

Dell 2155cn and MacOS Big Sur

Hi,

Have anyone manage to make this printer work on big sur? The dell install files will not install and trying to install it as a default network printer via the connected IP-number will show the printer in the list with a green dot but when sending anything to print, in example 1 page with the word "test" on it, the printer will instead print out something like 5-10 pages with seemingly random text so the connection does not seem to be right. 

Any ideas here would be really thanful!

The same printer works fine from another laptop that has catalina and an existing installation of the original dell driver installer. 

I asked apple but they do not know how to copy the install driver from catalina to big sur manually either. 

2 Posts

January 27th, 2021 04:00

Hello, (sorry for my english, i'm not a native)

I saw the same problem on another website, but i also have my macbook update with BigSur. He was connected to a Hp Tngo and right now the printer still works fine. But my friens have the same problem as you and i dont know how help him to connected his printer again. He has seen a french site  who talks about that, it works for me when i delete the printer and reconnected by the simple way of apple tutorial.

So if you have something, tell me later please

Good luck

20 Posts

February 13th, 2021 10:00

Try this:

Double-click to attempt to install the contents of the dmg file.

When the message saying it can't be opened appears, go to System Preferences, Security & Privacy, and tell it to Open it Anyway.

1 Message

February 15th, 2021 09:00

Doesn't work unfortunately. Still receives the following error

The installation failed.

The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. 

1 Message

April 21st, 2021 08:00

I was able to get this working.

I installed the following driver package to a Mac running Catalina.

https://dl.dell.com/FOLDER05432592M/1/Printer%202155cdn%20Installer%20&%20Application%20Dell%20A05%20Mac.dmg

Then I copied the "Dell" folder from /Library/Printers to the same directory on the Big Sur machine and copied the Dell 2155cdn gz file from /Library/Printers/PPD/Contents/Resources to the same location on the Big Sur machine.

When I added the printer via System Preferences, I was told the printer was not installed the correct way.  But was given the option to repair.  After repairing, the printer worked properly.

1 Message

April 25th, 2021 18:00

Did you manager to make the scanner work as well?

October 23rd, 2021 20:00

Yes, that's what I'd like to know too. Does anyone have a functioning scanner? My B1265dnf will not work.

1 Message

December 19th, 2021 05:00

What a great solution from Bagelmangler.  I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro M1.  The 2017 Dell 2150 cn /cdn driver file would not install under Monterey.  Problem must be a 32 bit thing.  I used Bagelmangler's tip and went to my iMac that had been upgraded to Monterey from its original High Sierra, where the 2017 drivers did install.  I copied the files per his instructions, placed them on the new MacBook and repaired the driver per his instructions.  It all works.  It is a pity Dell couldn't come up with this excellent work-around themselves.  My old 2150 is built like a tank and just keeps on running.  I'm going to tuck these copied files and Bagelmangler's instructions away, and maybe this printer will live on for a few more Mac OS iterations.  

February 17th, 2022 08:00

Thank you Bagelmangler for confirming my suspicion! I knew the driver would work but the installer was broken because on my wife's computer that we'd upgraded to Monterey the printer was still working.

I took this a couple steps further and was able to extract the original Dell drivers and scripts from the installer package on Dell's download site (in case you don't have access to a working Mac or Mac running

1. Download the Dell 2155cn/cdn A05 package from Dell
  2. Copy the print driver package in the downloaded DMG under Packages/ named Dell 2155cdn Print Installer.pkg to your Downloads folder
  3. Open a Terminal window cd into your Downloads folder
  4. Elevate to root by running sudo su and typing in your password (may not be necessary)
  5. Extract the PKG file full contents with this undocumented pkgutil option:
    pkgutil --expand-full "Dell 2155cdn Print Installer.pkg" ./pi-full
  6. Use Finder to copy the Dell and PPDs folders under extracted package folder Payload/Library/Printers /Library/Printers (tell it to merge)
  7. cd into the Scripts folder from the extracted package and run ./postinstall (This removes the error when installing the printer stating that it needs to repair the driver)
  8. Add the printer normally!

I haven't messed with the scanner, because I use scan to network SMB share, but I'd imagine it can be resolved using a similar method...

1 Message

March 22nd, 2022 19:00

Thank you for the instructions! For those that are trying to replicate the steps - I'm new to Mac and missed an important detail in the instructions provided. Note that there are two Library folders - one at the root directory (/Library) and one in the user directory (~/Library). I had originally copied to the user directory -- which of course was a massive failure and I spent MUCH TOO LONG troubleshooting. Don't make the same mistake I did!!! I guess at least I learned a thing or two about Finder and Terminals.

1 Message

April 26th, 2022 12:00

Not sure if anyone can translate Bagelmangler / DamnitShaun's solution into an ELI5 / simplified version for someone who has never run Terminal and new to the Mac world?  I would love to not have to email documents I need printed to an older computer..  This is driving me insane..  Thanks!!

1 Message

May 4th, 2022 20:00

I need the same help as ACERCAREY as I have never done terminal code before and I really would appreciate someone outlining what Bagelmangler has offered as a solution (see below)

Download the Dell 2155cn/cdn A05 package from Dell
Copy the print driver package in the downloaded DMG under Packages/ named Dell 2155cdn Print Installer.pkg to your Downloads folder
Open a Terminal window cd into your Downloads folder
Elevate to root by running sudo su and typing in your password (may not be necessary)
Extract the PKG file full contents with this undocumented pkgutil option:
pkgutil --expand-full "Dell 2155cdn Print Installer.pkg" ./pi-full
Use Finder to copy the Dell and PPDs folders under extracted package folder Payload/Library/Printers /Library/Printers (tell it to merge)
cd into the Scripts folder from the extracted package and run ./postinstall (This removes the error when installing the printer stating that it needs to repair the driver)
Add the printer normally!

Thanks...a solution is so important to me!

1 Message

June 2nd, 2022 22:00

Hi there,

Is there any way someone could reply to this with some lay instructions?  I can get the package to install on my old MacBook Pro running High Sierra, I can copy the package to the Downloads folder on my Mac Mini running Big Sur, but after that I'm totally lost.  Looks like there are a couple of other folks more recently who would love a translation, if someone is willing.  Help, please

1 Message

September 11th, 2022 06:00

OMG...thank you so much for this hint. I swapped my iMac late 2015 to a iMac M1 and couldn't install the driver(s). Now it's working fine! Im using scan2ftp (to my NAS) so I don't use the built-in feature of the driver. I already saw my 2155 on the dump....

9 Posts

February 20th, 2023 16:00

Bagelmangler, you rock!

After being cornered and having no other choice than Big Sur I was devastated when my old faithful 2155 could not be installed.Dell support said they don't support 2155 anymore. Said I don't need support as the printer works, I need a driver. She said download the latest and if it doesn't work buy a new printer.

Then I found this thread... peace now reigns throughout the land.

1 Message

March 1st, 2023 16:00

I got it to work on MacOS 12.6.1, Monterey on a machine with an M1 chip (not Intel), so I imagine that it will work on most any Mac. Follow the step by step instructions on the previous page (download the file, extract the package, etc.) and you'll be good to go.

I have not experimented with the scanning yet.

Now if only I could do the same for a 2135CN... Anyone have MacOS packages for that, or PPD files at least?

No Events found!