Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 25th, 2009 04:00

Dell 5330dn Tray issues

We recently purchased a Dell 5330dn printer with a 2nd tray. However we are unable to get the 2nd tray to work consistently.

There is an option on the printer to set the default tray to Tray 2. This option does NOTHING! Test pages print from Tray 1. Automatically select in the printer driver prints from Tray 1. Only selecting default tray or Tray 2 will print from Tray 2, and that is not consistent either with the printer randomly choosing to print from Tray 1.

Changing the paper type of Tray 1 to Letterhead forces the printer to select from Tray 2, but whenever you print to Tray 1 it prompts you to change the paper type. This is unacceptable.

What really confuses matters is that documents created in MS Word with specific Page Setups are having their trays changed because there is no consistency within the printer drivers with the previous printers.

Dell Technicians are saying that these symptoms are features, but they sound like faults to me.

The final straw is that firmware updates cause the printer to lock up whenever it tries to print so I can't even try that as a solution.

Any advice?

1.7K Posts

August 25th, 2009 13:00

Hey Barry,

Let's start with your last problem first..... the FW update. This firmware can take 20-30 minutes to apply. If you've waited that long and the FW doesn't update, sounds like you have a problem on the main controller board. Also, AFTER the FW update has completed, make sure you Power Off, wait 5 sec, power on.

Are you still on Warranty? Sorry, but you'll have to call Tech Support and get the part replaced. (p/n H107H)

The paper selection issue you're having is caused by the "Tray linking" feature. They made it a little too robust. The A05 FW on the dell web site fixes this, but there are also some settings you need to be aware of. I'll dig around for this stuff in my notes and will post as soon as I find it.

But first, you need to get that FW updated. When the Main-board is replaced, it's possible the new board will have the latest FW already installed. You can verify by printing a settings page and looking for a minimum Firmware version of: 2.70.00.45

August 27th, 2009 03:00

It Works! You, sir, are a genius.

Firmware A05 fixed the problem that Dell described as a feature. It now prints to Tray 2 unless specifically told not to by the printer driver. Turned off tray linking, substitute size (just in case), and default Tray 2.

I don't know if there was a problem with the previous firmwares, or if I was just updating it wrong, but it took only 5 minutes and had no glitches. The printer now behaves like every other printer we've purchased.

Old documents in MS Word still has issues with the Page Setup but I can live with that now that the majority of tray settings print to Tray 2 anyway.

1.7K Posts

August 27th, 2009 05:00

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the kind words.

Nope, not a genius, just sharing my experience...... been there and done that.

No Events found!