Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2009 14:00

Dell 942 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Please follow the instructions closely and let me know what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch (patch does NOT work with Windows 7. Please read the instructions listed HERE by Mickey S) to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch(a MUST on Vista machines) until it prompts you to restart your computer.

If using Windows 7 also try...Manual Printer Driver Removal 

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

If using Windows 7, use the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode. 

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista(Try Vista SP2). Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

1 Message

March 28th, 2010 02:00

Rick (and whoever reads this),

This is the first time I've ever responded to one of these - and I created the account just to write this response.  I want to say THANK YOU very much for your post.  It worked perfectly and saved me a lot of time and head-ache.  I don't even own any Dell products personally (nothing against Dell, I just own other brands), but I was setting up a Dell computer and monitor for somebody else and had to deal with the issue of Windows 7 not being compatible with this printer.

Your information was very accurate and worked well.  This printer is now up-and-running with no problems.  All functions are working (to my knowledge).  I would like to mention a few things, but not to take-away from what you've done.  It may just be that something was different on this particular computer, but somebody else may have the same issues and this could help them.

For one, in the "Manual Printer Driver Removal" for Windows 7 link that you have above, somebody mentioned that you can't simply "remove the device" from "devices and printers" and I found this to be true.  You have to also uninstall the printer from the Programs List.  I also restarted the computer after the uninstall to make sure to get rid of all the program files.

The other thing is the instructions you gave for installing the OCR for scanning - which were also very helpful instructions.  However, it was a little different for me.  Everything was the same up to the point where you said the "setup.exe" was "in the Abbyy Folder."  When I opened the OCR folder, there were many other folders, and then many files.  There was no Abbyy "Folder" but there was an Abbyy "File" which was a Windows installer file.  The "setup.exe" file was listed towards the bottom (below the Abbyy file) in the OCR folder.  I right-clicked on this "setup.exe" file and chose to run as an administrator and it worked well.

Again, please don’t think that I'm trying to discredit your information.  It was VERY helpful and I would be spending several more hours working on this issue without your information.  I wanted to express my appreciation, as well as add what I believe to be useful - since that is the point of these forums. ;-)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 1st, 2010 01:00

KHSmas1184,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Looks like you were doing your homework and did all the hard work.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

June 13th, 2010 11:00

Hi Rick,

I want to add something for all people running non-english version of Win7 64-bit since the described method doesn't work straight.

After running R151559.exe (the self-extracting Dell archive) locate the file c:\dell\drivers\R151559\drivers\Win_XP2K\DLBUprc.inf (you may not see the .inf extension depending on your folder settings) , right click on it, left click open with...  notepad.

Search (Ctrl-F) for 'Below', you should find a comment line ;Below are placeholders for multi-language support in this .inf.  Need to be filled in ;whenever WW builds start up.

Delete all lines that follow that comment (multilanguage [Strings] sections) and save the file. This will force the system to use the default (english) strings, because the \x64 folder only contains an \english subfolder (this is the cause why the driver fails to install on non-english Win7 versions but unfortunately Win7 only tells a file is missing without further details:emotion-12:).

Now you can proceed with the setup.exe like explained by Rick.

Note: this should also apply to the 32-bit version of the Vista drivers but I haven't tested it.

Hope this helps !

Pat

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 28th, 2009 14:00

Unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the back of the printer for 60 seconds. Plug everything back in. This will reset any error messages the printer has.

Power on the printer. Open the printer and take out the Dell Series 5 Black cartridge. make sure all the tape is off the cartridge and put the cartridge back in. Now do the same for the Dell Series 5 color cartridge.

Close the printer. It should print an alignment page. Any error messages?

Black cartridge = black side(left side)          color cartridge = color side(right side)

Photo cartridge = black side(left side)         color cartridge = color side(right side)

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 5 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It is also possible to get a new ink cartridge with a bad sensor. Please take it to the place of purchase for a refund or a replacement one.

Rick

3 Posts

January 18th, 2010 17:00

I found information about using Vista drivers while searching for a solution on Dell's site.  By installing that driver, I nearly disabled my laptop!  I just got the pc running again, so I think I'll wait a bit before following to the letter the steps you outlined above.  Thank you for your input and I will let you know if I get the printer back when I try your fix.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 18th, 2010 17:00

ninnientn,

What drivers caused the problem with your Vista Laptop? The Vista 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit driver? Do you have the number of the drivers?

What happens exactly when you installed the drivers?

Rick

3 Posts

January 18th, 2010 19:00

I'm running Windows 7 and I downloaded Vista drivers as suggested -  both 64 and 32 bit.  Tried both of them but am not sure which one caused the problem.  My computer booted and then froze.  The Wifi adapter ended up corrupted and I had to uninstall it and have Plug-n-play find it and install the driver again.  When I would search for the appropriate driver to reinstall, I got a message that I already had the current driver.  Once I restored the Wifi adapter driver and cold booted three times, eventually the computer booted without anymore freezing.  Sorry, I removed those drivers and didn't keep the numbers for them.  It may have been co-incidental but I don't want to take the chance right now to try again until I have a current back up of all my data.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 18th, 2010 20:00

ninnientn,

What version of Windows 7 are you using, 32-bit or 64-bit? Start, control panel, system. If this happens again, then let me know as I have contacts that can have Dell Tech Support check out the drivers in question.

You only need to install the Vista drivers that are the same, 32-bit or 64-bit. You will need to install the drivers in the compatibility mode, but only after Manual Printer Driver Removal

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

Rick

1 Message

March 9th, 2010 07:00

I got a new system with Win 7 and wanted to use my Dell AIO 942.  Your instructions worked perfectly and I am able to print. 

I downloaded the Vista 64 bit drivers then ran the setup in Vista SP2 compatibility mode.  

Thanks for the detailed instructions!!!  

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 9th, 2010 08:00

it is rod,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 28th, 2010 04:00

Mickey S,

Thank you for pointing out these items. I have a Dell 964 printer and most of procedures are the same. Dell has a list of printers that are NOT compatible with Windows 7 and your printer as well as the Dell 964 are not compatible with Windows 7, but we figured out a way around this with Windows 7. I realize that some of the [programs are a little different and sharing this information will help. I started this thread to help the people that own Dell 942 printers, so they can install it with the operating systems they're using, even Windows 7. Also since I started this thread, I can also mark your thread as a verified answer, that way when others go to install their Dell 942 Printer, then can see what you did to get everything working.

Thanks you and take care,

Rick

4 Posts

March 30th, 2010 14:00

THank you :emotion-1:   I was tearing my hair out trying to get my Dell 942 printer working with my new Windows 7 and was ready to give up when I found your thread. I followed it and it now works perfectly. I had to "run as administrator" and then everything auto completed after that.

Thank you again

Regards

Jo

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 30th, 2010 17:00

Jo,

Glad you got it working!:emotion-21: Sorry to hear about you hair, I hope it comes back.:emotion-5: Considering that Dell said this printer was not compatible, and it really is with using the compatibility mode. Remember how to use the compatibility mode as it will come in handy when installing other problem drivers/software.

Take care,

Rick

1 Message

May 16th, 2010 14:00

Thank you very much Rick!  This worked perfectly.  Your instructions were so easy to follow.  You have absolutely made my day!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 16th, 2010 18:00

Roxy16014,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. You really did all the hard work, I just gave a little advice.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!