Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2015 14:00

Dell 948 AIO Printer Installation Problem

Hi,

I have 2 machines one a DELL Latitude e6400 running XP SP3, I had the dell 948 installed fine and was running through a wireless connection. However when i came to print from it it said communication error. So after trying a few things i uninstalled the print drivers, used the dell tool for this. I am trying to now re-install using a wired connection. 

I plug the USB in and it says 'plug the USB in' which it quite clearly is - its so annoying as it wont pick up the wired connection. I tried doing it through WIFI and it says that there is no printers on the network.

On the second machine i am running windows 8.1 with bing, this one picks up the wired USB connection no problem, gos all through the installation no prob then gets to 'updating your system' and does nothing else, again it wont connect via wireless.

Im aware that windows 8.1 may not be supported but i know XP is, especially as it WAS running fine.

(NB: Ive logged into my sky router and they have changed the layout etc, i can only see 2x UNKNOWNS in the wireless list, coincidence ?)

When i turn the printer on it says wireless adapter connected, when i scan the wifi utility on the laptop it finds the printer, but not through the setup process.

Any help to get at least one to connect to the printer will be greatly received !

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 25th, 2015 08:00

JonWCS,

This is an older printer, so it will work with WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(Personal) or WEP Security(NOT so secure). The router should be on channel 1, 6 or 11, I prefer channel 11. Also try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings

Somewhere on the printer, hopefully you have a wrench, look for network setup. There should be a spot to reset the wireless adapter back to factory settings. You'll need to do this to reset the wireless adapter.

If the printer is setup for usb connection, it will not print wirelessly. If setup for wireless, a desktop that is plugged in to the wireless router can print wirelessly.

Try this procedure and see if the printer installs.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, programs and features, your printer, uninstall.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode you’ll get a message, the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time (powered on).

Links to the drivers can be found at…

Dell 948 All-In-One (PRODUCT) RED™ Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

Rick

No Events found!