Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 23rd, 2009 10:00

Dell AIO 924 driver solution for windows 7

Anyone had any success installing drivers that works for this Dell AIO 924 printer in Windows7?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 11:00

mlasfeller,

Try running the patch, it may or may not work. Also try...

Manual Printer Driver Removal

Restart the computer, then try installing the Vista Drivers. It may or may not work but Windows 7 is supposed to be backward compatible.

Please follow the instructions below and then tell me what happens.

First, let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Disconnect your printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, a MUST on Vista machines, until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers.

All other drivers

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 18:00

It works!! I used the vista 64 bit drivers, thanks for the help

mlasfeller

4 Posts

October 30th, 2010 16:00

Hi Guys,

Thanx to all of you, I may have a solution for multiple langage problems.

The solution described in the forum works perfect for English installation but not for mine, french !

Here's how I went out of it !

Just scan all the directories in the \driver\win_XP2K directory of the installed driver after unzipping R148157.  For any english directory you find, create a copy with the english name of your system langage (for me, french).  I had to create only 2.  one in 'common' and one in 'X64'.

Try the whole process again .. for me, it works !!!! everything's installed in english, but it's working...

Hope it will help you.

Boai.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 18:00

mlasfeller,

GREAT JOB! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. Could you mark the verify answer(s) that helped you solve your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Take care,

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 21st, 2009 14:00

Diane,

Try following the instructions located at...

924 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Then let me know what happens.

Rick

3 Posts

December 21st, 2009 14:00

I must be dense (I am not a techie) but I can't find the Photo AIO Printer 924 download. I am having the same problem. My printer won't work since Windows 7 upgrade. I will use the VISTA drivers as you suggested, but can you provide me the URL to the correct printer driver download page? Thank You, Diane

3 Posts

December 21st, 2009 17:00

OK, so I rebooted. Now I get a message at startup  "ST Service Scheduling has stopped working" with a lot of details that make no sense to me. Is this a related issue?

I highlighted and clicked on R148157.exe and selected "run as administrator" and got the error message "...R148157.exe is not a valid Win32 app". I've also lost my "quick start ribbon" at the top of the desktop.

Another issue that I am not sure is related or not to this printer troubleshooting task that I've worked on for at least three hours today.... And I don't know how to get it back...

3 Posts

December 21st, 2009 17:00

Hi Rick, Here's what happened - I followed the instructions - to the letter/very carefully, until it was time to unzip the R148517[1].exe file. I clicked on unzip, it appeared to unzip, but now the unzip window is open and I can't get it to close. Everytime I click on any of the buttons, I get the "ding" like I'm doing something wrong. I'm going to force a reboot, I guess, and try again? Sheesh, why didn't Dell think of updating the drivers for Windows 7? I keep thinking of that MAC commercial..... "trust me". But it will be a long time before I can afford a MAC...

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2009 02:00

dkay0422,

Try downloading the driver again. That error message means the file is missing or corrupt. If using a download accelerator, turn it off as they tend to corrupt files.

The patch may have removed Dell Dock but is can be downloaded and installed.

Rick

2 Posts

January 26th, 2010 14:00

Hi Rick,

I have been fighting with this printer for days now. I have tried everything you say but things don't install the way you say.

First, after I run the patch, reboot the computer and start the installation it get to where it says to connect the USB cable and turn on the printer. As soon as I do the task bar show that Windows is installing the driver for the printer and the next button is never turned on because it doesn't see the printer on the USB Port. I have tried to simply go in and update the current driver but that never works either.

This is  a new Windows 7 Home Premium installation and not an upgrade. Do you have any other suggestions?

Heather

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 26th, 2010 16:00

Heather,

You tried the instructions located at...

924 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Rick

2 Posts

January 28th, 2010 07:00

Yes, I did. And I want to add that I am not a newbie at this. I've worked with Windows since it's release. I am a programmer and I've done customer service on previous versions on Windows.

I was happy when I installed Windows 7 and I found that it had actually installed the 924 since the Window 7 update checker had said I need do to get an available driver update from Dell for it to work so I was shocked when I found on the Dell support site that it was not supported.

I tried all the steps exactly as it says in the thread but as I stated as soon as I turn on the connected printer the "New Device Found" balloon pops up and Win7 begins to install the printer before I can even press Next on the installer which I never get  because it does not seem to sense the printer plugged into the USB port in the installer software. Windows 7 see it. I also tried to update and install the driver directly using the New Hardware installer and the Driver Update in the printer properties.

Finally I did the only thing possible. I removed the 924 printer from the Dell Desktop computer and connected my older HP 1210 PCS. Windows 7 downloaded and installed the proper drivers and it's working just fine. I connected the 924 to my laptop which I don't use very much so basically I won't need to buy the special ink cartridges from Dell very often. By wanting to charge me $129 for online customer service to help me get the printer running Dell has lost my Ink business and all my future business. If HP can support their older printer with new drivers Dell should be able to do that as well.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 28th, 2010 14:00

shcoxfl,

Disconnect the 924 Printer. Run the patch, a printer cleanup utility, until you're prompted to restart your computer.

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is gone. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Not try installing the Vista drivers that match your operating system, 32-bit or 64-bit but... install them in the compatibility mode.

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers.

Right click on the drivers file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Then right click on the drivers, left click run as administrator.

***To install drivers, sometimes the file unzips and does nothing. You have to look for the setup.exe file, right click on it, then left click run as administrator***

Rick

2 Posts

January 31st, 2010 19:00

You are the man PudgyOne! This worked like a dream. Got my Photo 924 to work on Windows 7 64 bit edition. Followed your steps to the t and now it works. Now if you could help me get my tv tuner working I would be really happy!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 1st, 2010 03:00

vannalks,

Glad you got it working. Thanks for posting back.

Don't know much about TV Tuners but I hope it's digital.. Try the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode for all your problem devices/software. Windows 7 is supposed to be backward compatible.

Also try one of the other forums. Dell Microsoft OS Forum or DELL Community Forums

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!