Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 2nd, 2009 15:00

Dell Laser Printer 1815dn Drops Off Network

Hello,

How are you doing today???

I am rebuilding a network infrastructure, with Windows XP Pro SP 3 and Windows Small business Server 2003.

I have reinstalled a Dell Laser Printer 1815dn, as the main network printer.

The printer keeps going "offline" on some of the XP Workstations, and when some people try to print they get: <<>>>:"ZXDDEEEE$$**())__+++

at the top of each page.

Can someone tell me what is happening here?????

I look forward to hearing from you...

Thank you,

1.7K Posts

April 3rd, 2009 06:00

What is your network configuration (topology)

How and where is the printer connected into this network?

Did this ever happen before this network re-work?

16 Posts

April 6th, 2009 17:00

Hello,

This is a "star" topology, with the server acting as a print server.

The printer is connected to the server from a jack in the wall, about 20 ft from the server.

Yes, several times, but I'm told nothing was ever done.

I look forward to hearing from you...

Thank you,

1.7K Posts

April 7th, 2009 06:00

I guess I should have been a little more clear about the network topology question.

"Star" is understandable, but what does "connected to the server from a jack in the wall" really mean? In other words, what are the piece-by-piece components from the client, to the server, to the printer? Is everyone hooked up to a common switch? It sounds like your wiring is extended into wall jacks, but what's the wall jack connected to?

And the answer..... "but I'm told nothing was ever done" ......is in reference to my question that this also happened before the network rework?

Is there any event or print job you can submit that will always cause this problem?

It doesn't sound like we know what the problem is yet, perhaps we need to find out what it isn't?

One method is to eliminate the print server from one of the clients. Simply use the CD to install the drivers on one of the clients to print directly to the printer, bypassing the print server function.

Another method is to setup a small test network using a DHCP source (a Linksys router would be good), one or more client machines, and the printer. In other words, remove a client and the printer from your network and plug them into a standalone router. Install the drivers on that client and test. This is not a permanent solution, but it can be used to point a finger to where the fault really lies.

In other words, if this works with no problem, the problem is with your server, switches, or wiring.

Good luck.

16 Posts

April 8th, 2009 17:00

Hello,

The printer is connected to a wall jack, that "plugs" into a d-link switch, that connects to the router (d-link)  hosting the server.

No, there is no event or print job to be identified to this issue.

Now, User's names are beginning to disappear, then come back.

I have ran an antivirus (ZoneAlarm) scan, but nothing was found.

I'll try your suggestion...

Thank you,

1.7K Posts

May 4th, 2009 10:00

Can you share what you did to correct the problem? Or, what did you find?

16 Posts

May 4th, 2009 10:00

Hello,

All is well on this issue...

Thank you,

No Events found!