Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2013 06:00

Dell Open Print driver replaces the Location field with the printer model

Whenever I create a new print queue and set it to use the Dell Open Print driver, either through the GUI or via the WMI_Printer class, it identifies the model of printer and populates the Location field with that value. 

The problem is that I create print Qs programmatically and populate the location field with my own value. I can't do this with the Open Print driver because it overwrites my value with the printer model.

Likewise, if I have a print Q already setup with a different driver (with a location I entered) and I change it to the Open Print driver it blows away the current location and plugs in the print model.

Even more frustrating is that when I export a bunch printers from one server (in this case almost 200), on which I have painstakingly confirmed all of the correct values for the locations, and then import them on a different server every printer using the Open Print driver has the location replaced with the printer model.

Is there a way to suppress this? I think Dell was trying to be helpful by doing this, but it sucks. How can I modify this driver's behavior?

In my scripts I can have it add the printer, wait like 10 seconds for the driver to populate the location field, then add my location value, but that takes forever when your hitting a lot of servers. This also doesn't help when doing a mass import of printers.

Thanks for any help on this.

No Responses!
No Events found!