Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 15th, 2014 19:00

Dell V505w will not print on Windows 8.1

I have just received a new Dell Inspiron Desktop running Win 8.1. I use IE11 and have Windows Defender and Firewall enabled. My Dell V505w printer will not print wirelessly. This printer was previously working on my dell laptop running XP. My router (D-Link) "sees" the printer (MAC address is visible) and has assigned it an IP address, which I can verify through the printers user display. The wireless status LED on the control panel is a solid blue, showing that the printer is connected to the wireless router. However, I can not get the printer to even print a test page. Any help will would be greatly appreciated. Julius

4 Posts

March 17th, 2014 07:00

Hello,

I seem to have solved the problem as of yesterday.

I believe that rebooting my wireless router and then reinstalling the printer drivers is the solution.

This is what i did:

1. Deleted the printer driver from my computer
  2. Reset Printer network settings to factory default
  3. Turned printer off
  4. Turned computer off
  5. Rebooted wireless router
  6. Turned computer on
  7. Turned printer on
  8. Re-installed printer drivers
  9. Configured printer port as a Dello Printer port and for it to automatically use DHCP to obtain IP address.

It has worked through a couple of rebooting of both the computer and printer over 2 days.

Hopefully it will stay this way.

thanks for your suggestions.

Julius

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 16th, 2014 09:00

Julius,

No guarantee this will work.

First run Delete Print Jobs to remove any stuck print job in the queue.

Disconnect the printer.

Press the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, programs and features, your printer, uninstall

Restart your computer. Make sure the printer is removed.
Manual Printer Driver Removal

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers for Windows 8.1 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit drivers for Windows 8.1 64-bit. Install the Vista drivers in the Vista Compatibility mode Choose additional additional computer, network and follow the instructions.

Links to the drivers can be found at...

Dell V505 & V505w All-In-One (PRODUCT) RED™ Printer owners thread (W7)

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications. If you did not install any, then Windows Defender is the default. Try reading...

Allow Printer past Microsoft Essentials/Windows Defender

Rick

4 Posts

March 16th, 2014 20:00

Thanks Rick. This did not solve the problem. I downloaded all the various 64-bit versions and none of them work. The interesting thing is the Dell Wireless Setup Utility does make a connection from the printer to my D-Link Router. I can go into the router status and see that it has assigned an IP address to the printer (the correct MAC address), but I just can't get the desktop to see this connection. It does install the printer to the USB port properly and I can print from the USB. I even tried printer pooling with the IP address assigned by my router, but no dice.

4 Posts

March 16th, 2014 21:00

I have more information. I do not have MAC address filtering on my router, and I tested the install with the router firewall turned temporarily off. I also reset the network settings on the printer back to factory defaults before I tried the install again.

105 Posts

March 18th, 2014 01:00

It's a good thing that you managed to solve your printing problem. :)

There are times when I feel like giving up when printing errors happen. Sometimes, there are solutions that can be easily found online but there are also times when luck is not on your side and you will have to settle for the services of expert technicians.

Glad you shared this info. For sure, there are other printer users who will find the information you shared truly valuable.

No Events found!