Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

D

1 Message

July 21st, 2018 08:00

E525w, won't print black white, one empty color cartridge

I am unable to print anything on my Dell e525w because the magenta cartridge ran out and I don't have a spare.

After a 35 minute call with Dell support (15 minutes on hold, then 15 getting bounced around, then 5 minutes with someone who actually looked up the info) I got to the bottom line:

This printer does not allow black and white (grayscale) printing unless there is toner in every single cartridge.

That's a pretty user-unfriendly design decision. I sure wish I had known about it before buying this model. 

Also, seriously Dell, it took 35 minutes to get to this answer? What a waste of my time and money.

1 Message

February 24th, 2019 14:00

Same problem here too. Really upset that we changed the settings to only print black & white after the magenta ran out last time and now it still will not print. GRRRRR. 

2 Posts

March 2nd, 2019 13:00

I had a magenta cartridge read empty when it was almost new (non-Dell toner).  Go to Maintenance menu and set "NonDell Toner" setting to "On".  It will then ignore the Toner levels and print.  It will not show toner levels.  My "empty" magenta cartridge prints just fine, I just have no indication when it actually is empty.

1 Message

October 4th, 2019 15:00

This worked for me! unlike you, i actually have an empty cartridge (yellow), but this trick successfully printed in grey scale. Thanks!

1 Message

October 17th, 2019 11:00

I have the same problem but with the yellow. My maintenance menu does not have a ''non Dell toner'' option. Any suggestions?

1 Message

January 20th, 2020 16:00

This worked for me. Thank you!

1 Message

April 13th, 2020 10:00

The option is in the Dell printer hub on your computer. Not on the actual printer

December 20th, 2022 02:00

This worked for me, and the setting was available through the OSD on the printer.  We had an "empty" magenta but it was happy printing a B&W document after this change.

1 Message

February 19th, 2024 17:37

The settings are on the physical printers menu, they're just buried a little.

menu button (left of lcd display window) -> system -> admin menu -> maintenance -> non Dell toner.

No Events found!