Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 6th, 2009 09:00

Inspiron 1525, AIO 926 Printer, Communication not available

Hi,

I've been having problems with my printer (Photo 926) and My inspiron laptop. I have Vista operating system and every once and awhile, when trying to print, I would get the "Communication Not available" message.  When I tried to reconnect my USB cable, I would get the message, "USB device not recognized. (Also, randomly, my computer will making the noise for connecting or deconnecting a USB device, even with there is no device connected - that has happened since the computer was brand new (Aug. 2008))  Usually if I waited, I would be able to print again, but I got frusterated with  never knowing if I would be able to print enough, so I came on the community forum and found that many people were having the same problem, so I following the steps of deinstalling the printer, then installing:

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

But when I got to this step:

All other drivers

there were many many drivers to install and it was not clear which ones I shoudl install and in what order.  So I stopped installing those drivers and tried to connect my printer again.  The printer reinstalled with the cd, but of course, it does not print.  If I start the process all over again, will that work?  What does "all other drivers really mean?"  The prompt that tells you what order to install the drivers is confusing because the drivers mentioned in the prompt do not match the drivers on the list to install.

Thanks,

Lauren

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 8th, 2009 08:00

Lauren,

Let's try it and please follow these instructions carefully.

Try re-installing the printer following the instructions below. Before you proceed, it's recommended that you have all the Windows Updates, especially net framework(custom update), needed to run many applications and the latest Java. You probably got a driver update from Microsoft and Microsoft has either given you the wrong driver and/or installed the driver incorrectly causing the communication error.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 6th, 2009 12:00

Lauren,

Follow these instructions, I simplified them for you.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers.

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Starting at the bottom, USB Root Hubs, and working your way to the top, USB Universal Controllers, un-install everything in that section.

Restart your computer. Windows will find everything again and correct the problem one. Please be patient. The new hardware wizard may work 3-5 minutes before it's done.

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

February 6th, 2009 16:00

Hi Rick,

I tried the above, and after installing the printer again, it gave me the "communication not available" error again.  The printer itself reads "printing", but the computer says there is no communication.

Is there anything else that i can do?

Thanks for your help,

Lauren

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 6th, 2009 20:00

Lauren,

You have all the latest Windows Updates and the latest Java, correct?

Just a hunch, click start, control panel, system. Tell me if you have Vista 32-bit or Vista 64-bit.

Rick

February 7th, 2009 09:00

Hi Rick,

I have windows 32-bit.

So i'm thinking i need 64 bit. How do i get up to speed?

THANKYOU!!

Lauren

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 7th, 2009 11:00

Lauren,

No, I was just wondering if you were installing the proper drivers. You MUST follow these instructions. If it doesn't work, then we may need to do a repair installation of your operating system. You MUST run the patch on the Vista Machine. You'll get a prompt when to restart your computer. It's a lenghty removal process, so please be patient.

Restart your computer.

Download the Vista 32-bit drivers.

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Rick

February 7th, 2009 19:00

Hi Rick,

I ran the patch and deinstalled the USB Controllers (I also accidentally deinstalled the UMB Root bus enumerator because the list kept moving up and down and I clicked without checking. )

When I turn my computer back on, windows found and reinstalled the drivers.  I'm never prompted to connect my printer, however.  (The last time I went through this process, I just connected my printer at this point,it did not prompt me to do it.  After I connected my printer, it then it asked me to insert the CD for the printer. )  Should I go ahead and connect the printer at this point, even though there was no prompt?

Also, should I be worred that I deinstalled the umb root bus enumerator? It didn't look that that was reinstalled upon restart.

Thank you and sorry this is not turning out to be easy!

Lauren

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 7th, 2009 20:00

Lauren,

No, don't connect the printer.

Install the proper drivers first, you'll then be prompted when to connect the printer(powered on)

Rick

February 8th, 2009 05:00

Hi Rick,

Ok. So maybe i'm not doing this right. In order to install the proper drivers, I went to the folder where the 32 bit drivers downloaded and I double clicked Set up launcher.  Then I was prompted to choose automatic install our advanced install (or something like that), I chose the one that was recommended. I did all of that and was then prompted to connect my printer by the USB port.  The final message I got was "device driver was not successfully installed".

The full message is:

Please consult with your device manufacturer for assistance getting this device installed.

Then it listed things that went wrong, but I accidentally closed the window as I was trying to type it  to you. I remember that one of them was the the USB port installation failed. but there was a longer list. Some of the things appeared to have installed properly, (this is probably not much help to you!)

Also, I keep getting the sound of a USB port being plugged in and unplugged. When it makes the sounds of it being unplugged, the icon that gave me the device driver was not successfully installed starts moving - like a green ball going around in a circle. Then, when there is another sound that sounds like a USB being plugged in , the green ball stops moving.

Lauren

February 20th, 2009 05:00

Hi Rick,

Just wanted to let you know that it worked! Thank you for all of your help. After I reinstalled everything, the printer still wouldn't connect, but I noticed a new troubleshooting button that told me to plug my printer directly into the wall instead of a power strip. Once I did that, it has been working ever since.  THANKS!!

Lauren

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 20th, 2009 07:00

Lauren,

Thanks for posting back. Could you mark the verify answer(s) that helped you solve your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Thanks,

Rick

3 Posts

July 31st, 2009 01:00

Hi Rick -

Lauren seems to be right - plugging directly into the mains supply solved this problem for me too!  Bizarre...  All that uninstalling and reinstalling and patching and rebooting ad nauseam and all I had to do was not plug it into a power strip!

Thanks!

No Events found!