Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 8th, 2012 18:00

J740 Printer

I inherited a J740 printer and wished to install it on my XP machine.  The printer will not automatically install (tried it on 2 different XP machines, same results), so I looked on the Dell website for drivers.  There are none available.  XP isn't dead yet, according to Microsoft, and yet not even current XP drivers are available?  I realize that these are throw-away printers, but, just in case it survives a few years, Dell no longer provides drivers?  This makes no sense.  Where can I find an XP driver for this printer?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 9th, 2012 14:00

pbjbctox,

i have reported this to Dell. Do you need the XP 32-bit or XP 64-bit drivers? I may be ably to locate them for you.

Rick

38 Posts

June 12th, 2013 17:00

Sorry for the loooooooong delay in responding.  I set the printer aside because I had another one.  Now I've come back to it, and there still are no drivers on the Dell website.  I'm using it with an XP 64-bit machine, so if you can find 64-bit drivers, that will be appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 13th, 2013 09:00

Erie910,

Checking to see if I can find any drivers. Dell overhauled the Drivers & Downloads and I don't see drivers for this printer.

Do you have a printer disk?

Rick

38 Posts

June 14th, 2013 21:00

No, I don't have a driver CD.  I think that the printer was distributed before XP 64-bit came out, so I doubt that the CD would have drivers, either.

Best wishes in your search.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 16th, 2013 13:00

Erie910,

We have a few options that may work. This printer was made for Windows 2000 and Windows XP, so finding 64-bit drivers may be an issue.

Make sure the printer is not usb cable connected.

Run Delete Print Jobs to remove stuck print job(s) from the queue.

Look in the control panel, programs and features and see if the printer is listed. If it is, click on uninstall, the restart your computer.

Make sure the printer was removed. Manual Printer Driver Removal

============================================

Let's first try this.

With the computer online, and the printer turned on, plug the usb cable from the printer into the computer. See if the Plug and Play feature will install some type of generic drivers.

Remember virus programs and firewalls will block communications.

If that does not work, run the procedure above the lines, the try going to Lexmark's website and look for a printer similar to your printer. Try installing the drivers, it may or may not work. I would look for XP 64-bit drivers and install them in the XP SP3 Compatibility mode

If there is more than 1 printer that looks similar, run the procedure above the lines before trying the next driver.

I have a friend checking to see what drivers can be found, but because of the age of this printer and Dell changing their website, the link to any drivers has gone missing.

Rick

38 Posts

June 16th, 2013 19:00

Thanks for the suggestions.  In another thread on this printer, someone else tried the Lexmark drivers, but they were reported not to work.  Does your source have any idea what the original driver download file name was?  I did a search and found a couple of downloads which purport to be XP-64 bit drivers.  I've not had a chance to install them yet to see if they work.  One appears to be a Dell filename, but not the same name as 32-bit drivers for this printer.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 16th, 2013 19:00

Erie910,

My friend put in a trouble ticket to see if the drivers can be found for this printer, unknown the time involved.

Did you try any of the drivers found from Google Search?

Rick

No Events found!