Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 7th, 2012 18:00

Need driver for M5200 printer

I have a Dell M5200 printer attached to an XP computer.  The printer is shared.   There are other computers on the network (mostly XP with one 32 bit Win 7 computer).  They all have the printer installed and print with no issues.  I have recently installed a new computer running 64 bit Win 7.  I am having a problem installing the printer.  I go to ‘Add a Printer’, find the printer on the network and start the install.  I get a message box saying Connecting to DellM5200 and then a message that it can’t find the driver.  So, I go to Dell web site and download the R147093.exe driver.  When I run the setup, I get two choices: Personal installation or Network installation.  Both do not seem appropriate, but I chose personal.  It runs through the install without errors and restarts.  But, the printer is not installed.  So, I go back to ‘add a printer’ and after getting the message about not finding a driver, I try to add the driver manually by browsing to the directory that R147093 unzipped some files to.  I select DKAA2B40.inf.  Get a message that it couldn’t find a suitable driver.  I also downloaded R147093 to the XP computer, thinking I could install the printer for use on the network, but the set up will not run, get a message that 'this installation method is not supported on this operating system'.  Am I following the procedure correctly or is there some other driver I should be using?

4 Posts

August 20th, 2012 19:00

I finally resolved the problem.  In the setup program, I manually entered the path to the printer instead of using the browse button.  Thanks for all your help.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 7th, 2012 20:00

The compatibility Center for Win 7 says you need this driver for that printer: www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats AND you choose the wrong connection. You must choose Network Printer for a shared printer on another computer. Personal means it is directly connected to your computer

117 Posts

August 8th, 2012 09:00

This one is probably going to come down to a best practice. You are not going to want to share a printer(USB or network attached) from an XP box to a 7 64 box. I would really reccommend giving the 7 machine its own queue if you can attach the printer to your network. If you are having problems getting the driver on the 7 machine you might try the add printer wizard and use the windows update button. That should give you a suitable driver from Microsoft, or you can always use Dell's Open Print Driver.

4 Posts

August 11th, 2012 10:00

I tried the driver you suggested and did a network install.  I tried just about every possible selection after that.  I am expecting somewhere along the way to see the printer I want, but I never do.  Can you possibly give the exact selections to follow.  Thanks.

4 Posts

Prinster,

The add printer wizard did not find a suitable driver in windows update. The open printer driver did not work either.  When you say give it's own queue, are you suggesting attaching the printer directly to the Win 7 machine?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Check the XP computer that the printer is attached to. Make sure File and Printer Sharing is ON in the Firewall Settings. This can cause all kinds of problems with sharing a printer.

117 Posts

August 13th, 2012 07:00

No, I would suggest plugging an ethernet cable into the printer and not using it direct attached to any box, then you no longer have any need for sharing.

No Events found!