Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2009 09:00

P703W Can't Connect - Invalid Key

I'm trying to connect my dad's new P730W to his Linksys wireless router.  I've removed pretty much anything that could stand in the way - disabled MAC filtering, enabled SSID broadcast, switched it to WEP TKIP, and the printer finds the network with no problem.  When I enter my WEP key, however, I'm met with this error:

Invalid key. Please input 0~9 and a~z (A~F).

My key is strictly alphanumeric, none of the characters fall outside of the ranges listed above.  It is 15 characters long, which falls well within the 8 - 64 range.  I know the key is valid because I've been successfully using it for at least a year now to connect multiple devices.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 14th, 2009 10:00

Make sure the caps lock key is NOT on. When connecting a wireless printer, set it up by first connecting an ethernet cable to the router and printer and follow the setup directions that should have come with the printer.  I don't find a dell printer with that model number. Ah--I see you reversed the numbers in your post.

October 14th, 2009 14:00

Ah, my bad.  Yes, I meant P703W.  It doesn't appear to have an ethernet port, so I'm using the USB cable per the instructions.

As for caps-lock, I'm copying the passphrase directly from the router's configuration screen and pasting it in.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 14th, 2009 16:00

Pat,

Is the passkey 13 digits long? Saw this with someone else. Mine is twleve and works.

Rick

October 14th, 2009 20:00

Fifteen, actually.  I reduced it to 12, then down to 10 with the same result.  Replaced the "B" with a "b" and removed all the numerical characters.  Then tried reducing to 9 and finally 8 (the minumum character count my router will accept) lower-case, alphabetic characters.  No numbers.  All to no avail, I received the same error each time.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 14th, 2009 21:00

Pat,

Try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11.

Rick

No Events found!