Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

February 8th, 2008 07:00

Printer and DVD problems

I'm posting here to try and get some help with my new computer, since I am receiving none from "customer support". I have an Inspiron 1501 notebook (OS: Vista) which I bought in November and have had nothing but trouble with since.

My two primary problems currently are:

1) There is a problem with printing. It's not the printer (a Lexmark X2470) since it worked with this laptop before it was taken back to Dell to have the OS reinstalled in December, and it also works perfectly fine with other computers. The problem appears to be with the spooler file since it takes an eternity to print or scan anything. Does anyone know what one can do about this? I have all the correct drivers.

2) I cannot play DVDs since the software supplied is incompatible with Vista (I assume) and it crashes every time I try to watch a DVD. When the computer was returned to me after the OS re-installation, none of the pre-installed software was on the machine which meant that Dell had to send me some. Aside from the fact that this took them over two weeks, it also doesn't work. Can anyone suggest what I can do about this?

I have tried getting this resolved via "customer support" but they haven't responded to my emails.

I have to say that I am overwhelmingly disappointed with my experience with Dell UK. I used to live in the States and have purchased over 30 computers with Dell (I fitted out two offices and purchased on behalf of clients). My experience was always first class and I never had any problems with any of the computers that was not down to user error. I bought my new laptop based upon this wonderful experience, but now sorely regret it. I understand now why Dell have such a negative image on this side of the Atlantic. I, for one, would not recommend nor purchase from them again.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 8th, 2008 08:00

Let start with your printer first.

Unplug your printer.

Go to start/programs/lexmark printer/un-install your printer

Go to Control panel/add/remover programs make sure your printer is removed.

Restart your computer.

Download the latest printer drivers from here

Install the drivers, it will prompt you when to connect your printer. Printer should now work. I don't know where your software is unless it's still on your computer from the printer disk.

Next for all your drivers. Go to Drivers and downloads and either choose your system or enter your service tag(recommended) You will see all the drivers, software and items you need.

Dell recommends you install the drivers in this order

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software 
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

Then install everything else. There should be a program to play your DVD's
Make sure to get all your Windows Updates. Windows Media player will play the DVD's. Also a program called VLC Media Player will also play your DVD's. Sounds like you really need the drivers from Dell for everything to work correctly.

5 Posts

February 8th, 2008 14:00

thanks for responding so quickly pudgyone. if only dell were that prompt. :smileytongue:

i've actually uninstalled and reinstalled the printer drivers so many times and lexmark have very kindly sent me new drivers on disks, so i am sure i have the correct version. also, i coincidentally got a message from dell today and it looks like i will be needing another OS reinstall since i can't run the WAO menu at startup as nothing happens when i press the F8 key.

ugh.

thanks so much for your help though.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 8th, 2008 19:00

If you have the disks, try a repair.

Insert disk and restart your computer.

Boot from cd

Choose install

Do the agreement.

Now choose repair. This will repair the system

Now you have to download all of Microsoft updates.

Install your veiru protection.

get the latest Java.

Now try to install the printer, one more time.

29 Posts

February 8th, 2008 20:00

I am following you around to see if you can help me with a Wireless 3300 adapter and my 962 AIO Printer. I can't get past the communication error. I am using Vista, it is not a new install it is a computer that came out with Vista. I did the clean-up and removed my system32 files yesterday and re-installed but it still won't work. Any help would be more appreciated then you can possibly know!!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 8th, 2008 20:00

Bill posted a firmware for the 3300 print server using Vista

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&releaseid=R147095&SystemID=PRN_LSR_1700N&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=7726&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=40&fileid=195662

The rest of the setup is listed below. This works for almostr everyone. Sorry it it seems general but some people weren't telling how they were connected. I will help you however I can.

How are you connected to the printer? wired of wireless?

If wired, disconnect your printer. Go to start/programs/Dell printers and un-install your printer.

Restart your computer.

Now go to drivers and downloads/select product/printers/select your printer. Download drivers, Utilities, firmware and Patches.

Install your printer. You'll be prompted when to connect it.

If wireless, fix your network first.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA security

Mixed b and g mode(n if available)

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels.

After router is done, now setup your wireless print server/printer.

If wireless printer server is used, Plug USB cable into computer and print server. Insert the print server disk. Choose Network, then choose print server and follow the instructions.

Now setup the printer.

Now go to drivers and downloads/select product/printers/select your printer. Download drivers, Utilities, firmware and Patches.

Install your printer. Choose Network. Install the drivers.

Everything should now work.

29 Posts

February 8th, 2008 21:00

I am wireless and I have done all of that. Including updating my router. I was hoping there was something new  because I did all of that last night. Well, I updated my router a couple months back so I will go and look at that again.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 8th, 2008 23:00

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you had a 962 also.

Please follow this post. Bill has put in a request to try and fix this problem. Everyone is having trouble with the 962 and the 3300 using Vista.

29 Posts

February 9th, 2008 00:00

Wait a minute... I'm not suppose to use WEP security on my router? I better try that. Please confirm that for me. I will need to figure out how to do the WAP security. Maybe it will work if I do that....

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 9th, 2008 03:00

These instructions will help you. If it still doesn't work, remember to follow the post here for any upgrade information.

Hit the Windows and R button at the same time. This will bring up the run command.

Type ipconfig /all      (space between the g and /)hit enter

Look for the default gateway. Should look something like 192.168.1.1

Open Internet Explorer. Enter the default gateway number in the address bar and hit enter.

Log in. You should know the username and password. If NOt, then make and model might help. If you did NOT change it, I have a partial list of usernames and passwords.

Look for your SSID name.(Since your changing the security, change the SSID name, this will make connecting to it easier)

Change the security to WPA security.

Enter a new passkey/password

mixed b and g mode(n if it applies)

use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices workk better on these channels.

You should also update the firmware of the wireless router. Most sit in a warehouse and the firmware gets outdated.

Save and exit.

Now restart your computer.

Try to connect, it will ask you for the passkey/password.

You should be connected.

Now take the usb cable and plug the 3300 print adaoter into your computer. Use the version that you download from here. It will prompt you with the questions.

Now were going to try to install the drivers, patches, Utilities for your printer.

Dell Photo All-in-One Printer 962, Driver

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&releaseid=R151564&SystemID=PRN_ALL_A962&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=7348&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=40&fileid=201671

Patch/Upgrade

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&deviceid=7348&libid=40&releaseid=R166312&vercnt=1&formatcnt=0&SystemID=PRN_ALL_A962&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=-1&impid=-1

To install the firmware in the printer, you need to use the usb cable to do so. Click on it and follow the instructions.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&releaseid=R98804&SystemID=PRN_ALL_A962&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=7348&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=40&fileid=128061

It's probably going to look like you have 2 printers. I renamed the one I used when wired as Dell Photo AIO Printer 964 wired(I have a 964).

Now you'll need to install the printer drivers and tell it network. Choose I am using a print server. Follow the instructions.

You'll need to install the printer drivers for every computer using the printer.

5 Posts

February 12th, 2008 13:00

hi,

i still am having no luck with this computer or dell. first they say it needs an OS reinstall, next they tell me to update a list of drivers, none of which have anything to do with either my DVD or the printer.

can anyone help me with the printer issue?

it's definitely the spooler. is this the sort of thing one can download?
No Events found!