Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 17th, 2008 08:00

Processor speed incorrect for 948 driver installation

I've got a 948 PAIO printer that I'm trying to connect to wirelessly from a Vista Home Premium (32-bit) laptop. Each time I run through the driver installation it tells me that the minimum processor speed required is 800 Mhz and that mine is 4294967295 MHz. By my reckoning I've clearly got enough Mhz to get by but the software refuses to proceed further with the installation.

I know the reported figure is wrong because I've got an Inspiron 9400 with a processor running at around 1700Mhz. However if I look at the "System" control panel, it tells me that the processor and Ram information is 'Unavailable'.

Has anyone got any suggestions on what I need to do to fix this?

2 Posts

December 17th, 2008 12:00

Rick, many attempts to re-install the driver both in safe and normal mode all came up with the same problem - the installer complaining about the processor speed. I used the patch to fully remove all previous traces of the driver but it had no effect - I wasn't even able to get as far as a connection issue!

Digging into the faulty processor speed led me to this post because the speed wasn't being reported correctly on the System control panel.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?p=4332899

and when I entered the command

net localgroup administrators NetworkService /ADD

the processor and ram values were reported correctly and the printer driver was happy to let me pass the system check.

I guess it's not a scenario the driver testers had to consider.

Thanks for your help

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 17th, 2008 11:00

zippy99.

You are the first person that I heard that had this problem. Try re-installing the printer this way and then post back the results.

Disconnect your printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

I highly recommend using these settings in your wireless router.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security. Most wireless devices work best with this type of security.

Mixed b and g mode(n if available)

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels.

Save and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds. Power everything back on, wait 30 seconds, now try to connect.

Then follow the instructions below.

How Do I Connect a Dell™ Wireless Printer to a Wireless Network

Choose your printer. Beneath your printer, select your operating system. You'll be redirected to another page. Then click on show all steps. It will walk you through the installation process.

Please remember to install the latest firmware for the 948 Printer.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Let me know the results.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 17th, 2008 15:00

zippy99,

Thanks for posting back. Could you mark the soultion so is someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem.

Thanks and have a great Holiday,

Rick

3 Posts

May 5th, 2009 09:00

I am having the exact same issue, the difference being that I am running XP and my system specs appear on the system control panel.  I have a more than adequate processor speed 2.0GHz, but when I install the disc it lists my processor speed as to low to install (598MHz).  Can you please offer any assistance?  Thanks.

10 Posts

March 8th, 2015 15:00

I just had the same problem.   honestly the easiest solution for me is to restore to factory settings.   nobody has posted to this topic in six years.  maybe this problem is isolated to old Dell units.  My Dell laptop is a six year old laptop.   time for me to get a new computer.   I also had an HP, but the hard-drive in the HP died first.  My Dell is last man (laptop) standing, although I have a dead A key, and use an external keyboard, and my Dell wont charge the battery any more.   otherwise its still a functioning computer.   but yeah, the processor-speed problem required me to restore to factory settings in order to re-install the printer. 

No Events found!