Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2010 16:00

XPS 720 Not Working

I have been getting a "community error" message when I try to print anything. This is despite everything being hooked up in the appropriate places. Also, the power button on my printer (which is green) continuously blinks instead of blinking then pausing. May I ask what can be done to fix this problem so I can use my printer again?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 4th, 2010 16:00

JMW73,

Are you using Dell Series 1 ink cartridges?

You can try reinstalling the printer using the instruction located at...

720 Color Inkjet Printer owners thread (W7)

Then let me know what happens.

Rick

16 Posts

February 5th, 2010 09:00

First of all, I don't have Windows 7, I have Windows XP. Second, I'm not sure which Dell series ink I'm using.

I did install the printer for XP and my series printer, but nothing happened. Was I supposed to do something after downloading the driver?

Jeremy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 5th, 2010 16:00

JMW73,

When you downloaded the XP Drivers, you should have a files called R80999.exe

Double click on it. The file will unzip. If the file does not try to install the drivers, then look for setup.exe and double click on it. This will install the drivers.

Rick

16 Posts

February 6th, 2010 14:00

The drivers did install, but nothing happened to change the situation. So what else can I do to fix my computer?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 6th, 2010 15:00

JMW73,

Your XPS, is the a desktop or a laptop?

Rick

16 Posts

February 7th, 2010 08:00

My XPS is a desktop.

I tried uninstalling the driver, but I accidentally uninstalled the whole printer. What can I do get it back and, hopefully, get the communication error message to go away so I can print again?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 7th, 2010 11:00

JMW73,

That is what you want to do. Uninstall the printer. Run the patch until the printer is completely removed, then restart your computer.

Make sure the printer is gone. Manual Printer Driver Removal

Since you have a desktop, go to Drivers & Downloads enter the dervice tag number of your computer. Download and reinstall the desktop Utility and the chipset drivers.

Then install the correct printer drivers. Wait until you get the message the printer is not connected. Connect the printer at this time(powered on)

What happens?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 8th, 2010 07:00

JMW73,

I'm sorry, I missed the part where you said the button was blinking on the printer. The blinking light can be from a paper jam or a bad sensor in one of the ink cartridges. It's possible the encoder strip could also be a problem but let's start with the easy ones first.

Unplug the printer from the wall. Now remove the power brick from the back of the printer for 60 seconds. This will reset any error messages the printer has.

Plug everything back in and power on the printer. Now remove the Dell Series 1 Color cartridge. Now do the same for the Black Dell Series 1 cartridge. Make sure the tape is off the cartridge and reseat the cartridge. Then close the printer and it will print an alignment page. Any error messages?

Dell Series 1 ink cartridges have a sensor in them that cannot be reset. Article on refilling Dell ink cartridges.

Dell Series 1 ink cartridges can be purchased at Staples, Walmart or Dell's Website.

It's possible to get a Dell Series 1 ink cartridge with a bad sensor. I would that these back to the place of purchase for a replacement or a refund.

Rick

16 Posts

February 8th, 2010 07:00

I did everything you said, except I still had the CD-ROM for the printer, and nothing changed. I'm still getting the communication not available error message and the printer's power button is still continuously blinking.

16 Posts

February 9th, 2010 08:00

I was not able to check the ink cartridges. Instead of coming to the center, they went all the way into the right hand side of the printer.

Jeremy

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 9th, 2010 08:00

Jeremy,

Try looking at the encoder strip and see if it's on correctly. This is the closest thing I have for instructions.

Cleaning the encoder strip (Loud bang from printer carriage)

Rick

16 Posts

February 9th, 2010 15:00

What is the encoder strip?

It looks like the in cartridges aren't moving at all so I can not center them.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 9th, 2010 17:00

JMW73,

The encoder strip is the plastic thing the cartridges travel across. see the diagram below.

Rick

Clean the Encoder Strip

Additional Information
Notice:  
  As you perform the following steps, be careful when handling the encoder strip as it can break easily.  

It is possible that dust can gather on the encoder strip which will make it very difficult for the printer to determine where the carriage is on its track. To clean the encoder strip, perform the following steps:

1. Power down the printer and unplug the power.
  2. Lift the cover on the printer.
  3. Using a dry, lint free cloth, pinch the encoder strip on the right-hand side of the cartridge carriage and pull your fingers across it toward the right-hand side of the printer (Figure 1).

Figure 1: The Encoder Strip to the right of the cartridge carrier

Note:  
      The encoder strip is a narrow band of clear plastic and can be difficult to see without direct lighting.  
  4. Plug in the printer and power it on.
  5. Open the cover to allow the cartridge carriage to center itself.
  6. Using a dry, lint free cloth, pinch the encoder strip on the left-hand side of the cartridge carriage and pull your fingers across it towards the left-hand side of the printer. (Figure 2).

Figure 2: The encoder strip to the left of the cartridge carrier

16 Posts

February 9th, 2010 17:00

The encoder strip is tightly inside the printer and in its appropriate place.

If that's not the problem, what could be it?

16 Posts

February 12th, 2010 08:00

Any update on what could cause the communication not available error message and the ink cartridge to not move and the green blinking light?

No Events found!