Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

March 24th, 2006 05:00

right cartridge incorrect

besides buying a new cartridge(done that), or cleaning the gold strips(done that), or rebooting the stupid printer(done that too), does anyone have any advice on how to fix this problem?  I can't print black or color and it just keeps blinking this message "right cartridge incorrect" its driveing me nuts

39 Posts

March 25th, 2006 02:00

Try removing the color cartridge and try printing with the color cartridge out. If it gives you a message that the cartridge is missing, it will still allow you to print by clicking "continue". And from there, it will allow you to print black. I think it really is a problem with your color cartridge.

1 Message

March 28th, 2006 11:00

I have this problem. Bought my all-in-one 962 cheaply from a former employer's "surplus stocks". I guess now I know why they were selling them off... the thing has been nothing but trouble since I got it.

6 Posts

May 9th, 2006 14:00

I Googled "right cartridge incorrect" because I am experiencing the same problem. (Dell is, by the the way, sending a replacement color cartridge since I am still under warranty. Guess I'll be up a certain creek without a paddle once my year is up!) The first result is the blog below. The posts start out about HP printers but quickly add Dell 962.

Dell should be ashamed.

http://www.gearbits.com/archives/2005/10/hp_inkjet_cartr.html

1 Message

May 20th, 2006 20:00

I have the same freaking irritating problem.  My printer is about 1 1/2 years old and of course out of warranty.  I just put the new color cartridge in a few months ago and rarely use this thing.  I have tried everything I can think of, including putting a folded piece of paper behind the cartridge to make sure the contacts are in contact with the printer and nothing!  I am about to pull my hair out.  Is there hope other than buying a new printer?

39 Posts

May 21st, 2006 00:00

Lisa, Dell cartridges have 8 months warranty. So if you have used it for a few months (less than 8 months) then you can go ahead and contact Dell. Your printer is out of warranty but your cartridge is not.

1 Message

June 5th, 2006 23:00

Got my AIO 962 printer in May 2005.  In December 2005, got the "Right cartridge incorrect" error.  Dell support told me that the problem was a defective black cartridge.  They sent me a new one and everything worked fine.  A couple of months ago, ordered a new black cartridge from Dell.  Am now getting the error again.  When I call or attempt to chat with Dell support, they discover that my warranty has expired and hang up on me!

1 Message

July 11th, 2006 12:00

I am getting the same message, this is the second time I have lost hours of productivity . . .  I have just installed a new black cartridge, to have it give me the error message on my perfectly fine, hardly used, less than a year old color cartridge.  

I think this warrants a recall on this printer from Dell.  They must be aware of the problem, and have left their customers out to dry.

This is a huge inconvenience.

thanks

nancy:smileymad:

1 Message

July 25th, 2006 00:00

I now have the same dilemna...and thanks to one of your responses, I can print using only the black cartridge, but I had to remove the color cartridge completely...I am not sure what I should do next.  Since my printer is a year and a half old...so warranty is depleted..but this problem occurred when I put a new black cartridge in.  Before then..it was perfect..but now I fear I got a lemon of printers after reading this forum!!

2 Posts

October 14th, 2006 14:00

I think the problems is POOR design of the print cartridges or great design for Dell. They keep drying out if you don't use the printer on a regular basis. Dell sent me new cartridge worked for awhile then dried up again. BIG problem you can't print Black with just the black cartridge also need the color cartridge. So if one dries up you are STUCK. I finally got so feed up I purchased a cheap black laser printer and just use the Dell AIO 962 as a scanner. Very disappointed in the design.I think Dell needs to recall the printer.

4 Posts

October 20th, 2006 22:00

Ive the 962 and Ive cleaned both my color carts. Cleaned the contacts in the printer yet it still says incorrect cartridge in the right. They are all 1 year and 1 week old.

Am I ?

2 Posts

October 21st, 2006 23:00

I was incorrect in my previous post you can print in black with only the black cartridge but you have to remove the color cartridge from the machine. I had the same problem with the color cartridge soaked in water could see color on the paper but still did not work. VERY BAD DESIGN.

1 Message

January 15th, 2007 22:00

Appreciate the suggestion to try and print with just black cartridge as am having this same error but when I remove the color cartridge and try to print a Word document and hit print I get pop up window that says Print Cartridge Missing and when I hit continue it trys to send to printer as get the Progress WIndow pop up that just doesn't progress and only two option buttons are to cancel job or order ink.

If I can get by with just printing with the black I would do so at this point.

Any help would be appreciated.

March 31st, 2007 21:00

I had same issue w/ original Dell color cartridge last night. **exactly 18 months old** (rumor has it these may electronically "expire" after 18 months; obviously I find it hard to disagree)

Based on extensive research on the matter I contaced Dell Support. (ie: tried everything including removing the battery from printer) To my surprise no hold time and intelligent India rep. I was on phone for appx 1hr in all and talked to 3 people, 2 of which tried to convince me the color cartridge is most likely "dried up". My cartridge should have been 50-75% full as I do not use it much, and I advsd him ink was bleeding from the unit onto my finger. They also mentioned my expired warranty and I reminded them that I felt the problem was a defective ink cartridge which Dell Warranties for 2 YEARS! Ha, they didn't have much to say to that, but put me through the dummy tests and passed them all. Finally they told me they will mail me a new cartridge and want me to mail my old one back (at their expense). Fine by me. All in all, I cannot complain about the service or their need to verify I'm not a swindler. ****Just remember Ink Cartridges from Dell come w/ a 2yr Warranty (chk the printer manual to confirm).****
>my other notion on the "dry cartridge" comment is this: Dell would not Warranty an Ink cartridge if it would commonly "dry up" w/in 2yr warranty period. Currently waiting for the replacement........

1 Message

March 24th, 2009 15:00

No replies in a year? Has someone found resolution to this problem? I had this problem about 3 months ago, and after installing a new cartridge (even though the other cartridge was still +75% full) the problem went away. I don't use my printer often, but only after 3 months and less then a dozen prints the problem has come back. I have tried all the suggestions again this time (clean contacts on printer/cartridge, check for proper installation, etc.) but the problem remains. I must admit this is quite frustrating considering I spend more time resolving issues with this printer then I do actual printing. Like I said, I don't use my printer often, but it seems like every time I attempt to I am faced with a problem that needs to be resolved before I can print. Any suggestions other then purchasing a new printer? I'm at wits end with Dell products... :emotion-12:

June 15th, 2009 19:00

NO!!! and I have the same problem. I do not disagree with the chip expiration theory as you could use a refill ink needle.  They can over look this by chipping them. Since there is no answer and we all have the same problem at the same time it must be true. Do not buy DELL anymore . try to ween away if you can. They need to be sent a message to stop doing stuff liek this. I have a problem with my dell all-in-one printer too. It wont install teh whole program anymore just the driver so I cant use the features. I pray DELL goes bankrupt!!

No Events found!