Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2008 20:00

Dell DataSafe

I'm frustrated....

I've called Dell and used their Live Chat and was promised resolution.  My logon for Dell DataSafe has never worked.  My conversation with technical support ended with them getting back to me but they never have.  I can logon to DataSafe and edit my account but I'm unable to backup my system.

5 Posts

November 19th, 2008 08:00

I've been trying for months now to get my DataSafe working, with no success. All I get is a complete runaround. I was very happy with my new Dell computer originally, but this fiasco with DataSafe has turned me off recommending Dell to anyone. I haven't had a valid backup for months now and no one at Dell seems to give a rat's . Very frustrating!

2 Posts

November 19th, 2008 10:00

I've had same problem; can't verify that I'm even backed up and can't change password.  Any suggestions??? Can you remove it and switch to something like Carbonite?  Also, know anything about PC-Cillin?  Mine was loaded on computer when I bought it and it's almost time to re-subscribe.

1 Message

November 23rd, 2008 22:00

I can't get the datasafe to work either with my new XPS. Can't find any tech support info specifically for it. I get 'connected',' files prepared' and then when it says 'backing up files' my computer freezes up. Any solutions?

1 Message

November 24th, 2008 07:00

I'm interested to see if you ever get a resolution to this.  I purchased the online DataSafe in October.  I am able to log on to edit, as you are, and it appears that the DataSafe is connecting online, but that's about it for me.

I have never had a successful backup in the six weeks that I have been trying.  I have it running right now, in fact.  I have a 13 GB folder that DataSafe started on about 20 hours ago.  It is currently 7% complete, and has been for most of today.  Yes, I have broadband (ADSL).

It gets better.  Last weekend, when I tried to run DataSafe, I started getting alerts telling me that my hard drive was full.  I realize that DataSafe needs as much empty space as the size of the upload, and it should have had it.  After doing everything I could to free up hard disk space - including moving all of My Documents to my external drive - I discovered that DataSafe had created a 34GB file of fragments.  I had tried to run Defrag, but it couldn't do anything.  I had to take a chance and delete the fragmented files, then re-install a bunch of programs.  Good thing I have a local back-up.

Now I'm seriously considering contacting Dell and asking for my money back.  Even with this latest software upgrade, this has been one of the poorest performing pieces of software I've come across.

97 Posts

November 26th, 2008 10:00

Hi guys,

Looks like some folks have been having trouble with their Datasafe accounts lately. After they shut down the old forums I haven't had a chance to check and see what they did with their new forums.

Anyway, login issues are generally pretty easy to address. There are a couple of issues that can be at the root of the issue but the primary issue evidently is that Dell was shipping machines with the wrong Datasafe info on them. If you're having trouble getting ahold of someone who can take care of it, send me an email and I can forward it to a guy who works in the Datasafe support center. You don't need to share any personal info, all they need is your email address.

~dsopro

1 Message

November 28th, 2008 17:00

I feel your pain!  I have been trying to renuew my subscription for two weeks and have not been able to get into my account.  I finally emailed customer service and they replyed to say I should call the sales number to handle my renewal.  I have been on the phone for one hour tonight and discovered that the rep I was talking to does not know the difference between DataSafe and the warranty on my computer.  He kept talking about warranty and I kept telling him DataSafe.  He finally said he understood and put me on hold.  He came back and said that would be $169.00.  He had renewed the warranty on my inspiron.  When I explained - again - it was DataSafe, he told me I could renew on line.  I explained that was why I had called as I could not log in online.  He told me to try again and if that did not work, call them back.  Then he wanted to know if there was anything else he could help me with which was really funny as he did not help me with anything.  Anyway, I am looking for a different source for backup.

5 Posts

November 30th, 2008 13:00

I am very disapponinted in the Datasafe program.  They sent me an email that I needed to renew, but do not have a renewal to click on when I log in to my account.  Plus the program has not automatically backed up my computer since sometime last year.

I would like to get my money back also if any one knows how that can be done.

CH

1 Message

December 2nd, 2008 01:00

:emotion-6: Dell has a big big problem on their hands with Data Safe.  Even though it works at first, it is really only designed for relatively small files.  To back up large files (greater than 2 Gig) you really need a better backup service that can handle it.  All that I want to do is just clear my 10 gigs and start over, but I cannot find out how to do it.  There are no instructions anywhere on the web portal.

I am going to ask for a refund.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2008 15:00

I just had a very similar experience with the customer service call I placed. I've been trying to renew my subscription for DataSafe but there is no such button on the program. I tried opening the portal and all I could do there was change my password. I called customer service and spent an hour being placed on hold and transferred to 6 different people. The language barrier didn't help either. I called again the next day hoping that I'd have better luck. NOPE. The same exact thing. I told the first person that I wanted to renew my DataSafe subscription and she unsubscribed me from receiving their emails. I told her that wasn't what I called for and she transferred me. This person had no clue what DataSafe was...not a clue. He transferred me to a girl who transferred me right away back to the person I spoke to the night before. I was so very irritated that all I could do was hang up. I don't like to be that way because I once was in customer service but how much can a person take? It's a very simple task. Renew my subscription with the click of a button or a phone call and I'm done.

4 Posts

December 18th, 2008 19:00

I get the same run around with Dell. The main problem is that their support people are in India and they do not understand English. They also do not know much about Dell products.  I can't get Datasafe to work and I can't delete it. The icon is in the menu bar that shows the clock and I can't delete it.

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2008 18:00

I do not know if it will make you feel better, but I have been getting the same kind of response.  DataSafe is junk software that allows some one to collect money.   It has never worked.  I have talked with Dell reps and they seem quick to move you alone or to try and sell you something that you do not need and want.   But know one has resolved the problem.   I took it off my computer.   There are other more reliable data back up software out here than DateSafe by Dell :emotion-21:

4 Posts

December 25th, 2008 08:00

I removed Dell DataSafe from my computer using "add or remove programs" from the control panel but there is an icon in the lower right side of my computer called "Dell DataSafe On Line" that I can not get rid of. Does anyone know how to get rid of the icon and the program?

December 26th, 2008 11:00

I'm a DataSafe newbie.  Does anyone know if DataSafe supports multiple computers for one account.  I have 3 computers and want to backup data from each of them.  I installed DataSafe on computer A and did a backup without any problem.  Then installed DataSafe on computer B and did a backup.  Signed into my DataSafe Dell account to accessed the data.  The data from computer B was there but all of the data from Computer A had vanished!!:emotion-7:

4 Posts

December 26th, 2008 12:00

Dell DataSafe can only be used on 1 computer. If you read all the replies in this forum you will see why we don't recommend using Dell DataSafe.

December 26th, 2008 15:00

ffokilop thanks for the answer.  That's a shame...had high hopes for DataSafe but the only work around would be to consolidate my files from 3 computers onto 1 computer before every backup.  That would be a time consuming daily hassle...cost > benefit.:emotion-45:

No Events found!