Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2009 16:00

Dell Datasafe .NET error System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException

This appies to the version 1.1.0023 which is current as of 4/20/09.

This message usually pops up after returning from standby.  The taskbar program is trying to draw a balloon beyond the limits of the screen. 

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Cannot anchor balloon at position '{X=878,Y=785}.'  The point is not contained within the visible bounds of any screen.
Parameter name: point
Actual value was {X=878,Y=785}.
   at Rilling.Common.UI.Forms.BalloonWindow.MoveAnchorTo(Point point, Point pivot)
   at Rilling.Common.UI.Forms.BalloonWindow.MoveAnchorTo(Point point)
   at Rilling.Common.UI.Forms.BalloonWindow.Show(Point pt)
   at Swapdrive.Client.Screens.FormMain.ShowCustomBalloon(CustomBalloonType balloonType)
   at Swapdrive.Client.Screens.FormMain.OnTimer(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

My config is Inspiron 530 w/1GB, XP-SP3  ,.NET Framework 3.5  Screen size is 1024 x 768.

Whether a program can't or won't fetch the right screen size from the system is not something and end user can control.  Obviously there need to be a new version to fix this problem.

There needs to be a better way to report bugs in DELL branded software.

FOLLOWUP:  It turns out DELL datasafe is just a branded version of SYMANTEC SWAPDRIVE (https://www.swapdrive.com).  Also the term 'Rilling'  above refers to the balloonwindow.dll author Peter Rilling.  If your a paying user maybe you should consider buying the service directly from SYMANTEC.

FOLLOWUP2:  The observed behavior of the taskbar balloon is that it will first appear, then adjust itself to to top to the taskbar (resize the taskbar to see this effect).  Therefore, if the inital anchor point is invalid, any error will prevent program from updating the location of the balloon, causing the problem to reoccur during the session.  This reuse of old values is simply bad coding.  Notice that the mouseover balloons supplied by XP don't suffer from this problem.

The class "Swapdrive" is contained the in "DataSafeOnline.exe" program itself, which to me means that SwapDrive (Symantec) supplied all the software and just put a Dell skin over it.  I guess we'll have to wait until the complaints pile up before anything is done about this issue.

FOLLOWUP3: I discovered that the two conditions that cause this problem is 1. Setting the taskbar to autohide.  2. Missing a backup interval either by powering down or standby.  By turning off autohide and restarting I discovered that the balloon message that was failing was the one that pops up after you log in and the program discovers that you missed a backup and do you want to backup now.  It appears that the balloon window wants to anchor itself to the Datasafe icon in the system tray, which is rendered offscreen with autohide active.  Since the mouseover balloons don't seem to be affected (because the taskbar is moved onscreen before the balloon is drawn),  these spontaneous popups should be moved to center screen to eliminate this problem.

JM

3 Posts

April 22nd, 2009 16:00

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I've been waiting for months to get an answer on how to clean this up, it comes and goes without any real logic.  There doesn't appear to be a repair or replacement that I'm aware of.  Would like to hear from ANYONE if they've got a solution for it.

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Cannot anchor balloon at position '{X=1430,Y=1025}.'  The point is not contained within the visible bounds of any screen.

Parameter name: point

Actual value was {X=1430,Y=1025}.

at Rilling.Common.UI.Forms.BalloonWindow.MoveAnchorTo(Point point, Point pivot)

at Rilling.Common.UI.Forms.BalloonWindow.MoveAnchorTo(Point point)

at Rilling.Common.UI.Forms.BalloonWindow.Show(Point pt)

at Swapdrive.Client.Screens.FormMain.ShowCustomBalloon(CustomBalloonType balloonType)

at Swapdrive.Client.Screens.FormMain.OnTimer(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1434 (REDBITS.050727-1400)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

DataSafeOnline

Assembly Version: 1.1.0.5660

Win32 Version: 1.1.0.5660

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Dell%20DataSafe%20Online/DataSafeOnline.exe

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

SdbShared

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Dell%20DataSafe%20Online/SdbShared.DLL

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

BalloonWindow

Assembly Version: 1.2.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.2.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Dell%20DataSafe%20Online/BalloonWindow.DLL

SdbUI

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Dell%20DataSafe%20Online/SdbUI.DLL

System.Configuration

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

SdbShared.XmlSerializers

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Dell%20DataSafe%20Online/SdbShared.XmlSerializers.DLL

System.Web.Services

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Web.Services/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.Services.dll

rmp8svoj

15 Posts

October 14th, 2009 06:00

Simply put, uninstall the program. It is not worth the headache, and you can find far better non-Dell alternatives out there to DataSafe...and they are free. Check out Syncplicity for example.

Anyway, I just uninstalled DataSafe from my machine, and no longer get that annoying popup.

Good luck!

Jake Norton
MountainWorld Productions
http://www.mountainworldproductions.com

1 Message

December 29th, 2009 19:00

i had same problem.

I stopped using data safe by disabling automatic backup and the problem ceased.

i contacted dell support, as I'm under warranty, and they had no idea this was the problem!!

3 Posts

December 30th, 2009 23:00

I've quit worrying about it, as all it means is I missed a scheduled backup.  I just click on Backup Now and the problem is gone for another week.  If you can't stand it , turn off autohide on the taskbar.

1 Message

June 30th, 2011 08:00

I realize this is annoying, but...

Just click the continue button and the Dell Data Safe works normally.

If you don't use Dell Data Safe just uninstall the program.

Regards,

Chris

3 Posts

September 21st, 2011 18:00

I get the same annoying message at every reboot.

Tell me: Here I am at a Dell site. The problem is caused by software Dell provides. Yet the replies seem to say, "Just turn off the program".

Why am I not seeing, "Thank you. Dell is aware of this software bug, and we plan to release a fix in xx days."?

However, since this thread started a long time ago, I'm guessing that in truth, no one at Dell is planning anything of the kind.

The answer, "Stop hiding your task bar" is equally bogus. It is a very common system configuration, and the program shouldn't barf just because of it.

That Dell rebrands the software from Symantec is also no excuse. Whomever owns this software should fix it.

Unreasonable?

Don

No Events found!