Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 31st, 2011 05:00

Dell Support Centre has stopped working - HELP!

I keep getting a message on my screen saying that Dell Support Centre has stopped working and a solution is being sought.

I think maybe something has happened to this software but I am not knowledgable enough to be able to work it out for myself.

I have tried to start Dell Support centre from the Start Menu.  The logo appears but nothing else happens.

What do I have to do to get it working again?

3 Posts

August 1st, 2011 18:00

Hi,

I had the same problem. Read all of the above,

Tried all of the fixes suggested, but the problem still remained.

Just before installation completes, I had the same message, i.e:

"Error getting cert filename (property: Custom Action Data) from MSI"

As I find this a very useful tool, I was determined to get it back, so.....

I looked in my PROGRAM directory  for any sign of Dell Support Center, and found there a sub-directory for 'Dell Support Center'.

There were two items in it, neither an uninstall program.

I just deleted the whole sub-directory 'Dell Support Center', thinking to allow the installation program to start afresh,

then removed the downloaded 'aulauncher' (the installation app for Dell Support Center),

then rebooted the pc.

Then I followed the link to download Dell Support Center from DELL website again, downloaded it, ran it, REBOOTED, and all is now ok with my world. :-)

Hope this helps.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 31st, 2011 14:00

Press [Windows] and type appwiz.cpl in the run box then press [Enter].

Search for Dell Support Centre uninstall it. Reboot the computer.

Reinstall Dell Support Centre from here.

27 Posts

August 1st, 2011 06:00

I have done exactly as you have instructed but I am still experiencing problems.

I uninstalled Dell Support Centre and then rebooted.

I hit the link to reinstall Dell support Centre and all seemed well for a few minutes until the install had nearly completed.

I then got the same message saying that Dell Support Centre had stopped working and a solution was being sought.  Within a few seconds of that message I got another message this said:

"Error getting cert filename (Property: Custom Action Data) from MSI"

I clicked on OK, (as I didn't know what else to do as there seemed to be no other option), and a message came up telling me that the software had not been installed.

What do I do now?

27 Posts

August 1st, 2011 06:00

I have done exactly as you have instructed but I am still experiencing problems.

I uninstalled Dell Support Centre and then rebooted.

I hit the link to reinstall Dell support Centre and all seemed well for a few minutes until the install had nearly completed.

I then got the same message saying that Dell Support Centre had stopped working and a solution was being sought.  Within a few seconds of that message I got another message this said:

"Error getting cert filename (Property: Custom Action Data) from MSI"

I clicked on OK, (as I didn't know what else to do as there seemed to be no other option), and a message came up telling me that the software had not been installed.

What do I do now?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 1st, 2011 08:00

Currently Dell Support Centre is not installed. Could you run CCleaner (cleaner and registry cleaner) and Defraggler to clean unecessary files on your system which might interfere? Then retry?

1 Message

August 1st, 2011 09:00

I also had the same problem. I uninstalled Dell Support Centre and then installed latest version and it will not install correctly.

27 Posts

August 1st, 2011 12:00

I have CCleaned, (using the latest version) and DeFraggled, (again using the latest version).

It is still a no go I'm sorry to report!

Just before installation completes, I get the same message, i.e:

"Error getting cert filename (property: Custom Action Data) from MSI"

Any more ideas?

27 Posts

August 2nd, 2011 10:00

Thanks krnchmb - looks promising!

Before I go ahead, can I check the contents of these folders with you?

1)   I go into Windows Explorer and find OS (C:) and click on it, (the C: drive).

2)   Locate folder entitled "Program Files" and open.

3)  There is a folder called "Dell Support Centre" - this has two entries:

a)  a DB_JOURNAL file entitled "resource.db_journal" and

b)  a folder entitled "Resource Drops" which in turn contains and XML Document file called "settings_pcdrsound".

Are these the files and folders that you deleted?

The "aulauncher" that you mention - I remember the Dell website asking if I wanted to install this when I downloaded the main Dell Support Centre.  In actual fact, when my system is fired up from start, my screen tells me that this is working and trying to launch Dell Support Centre, which of course didn't install, so it is looking for something that isn't there!

Where did you locate the "aulauncher" so that you could remove that?  I cannot find this to uninstall it.

Hope you can help.

1 Message

August 3rd, 2011 05:00

I have had the same problem for 1 week - just received phone call from someone out of the blue (not english) telling me that he knew this 'virus'started last thursday and if I turned my computer on now he would talk me through to resolve it! I declined the offer - how did he get my phone no?

27 Posts

August 3rd, 2011 09:00

Hi everyone who has contributed!

We have a solution which was kindly provided by krnchmb.

I was a bit unsure at first and posted another query in hope that he would come back and clarify things a little more, (please see my post 08-02-2011 10:05 AM).

I am not sure why krnchmb has not come back yet, perhaps he is away from his computer, but I resolved that in the event that I was going to delete files that i was not sure of, I copied those files to a stick and then deleted them.

I could not find aulauncher to delete or uninstall, although I know what krnchmb meant by it.  It is something that comes up at the beginning of the installation of Dell Security Centre.  I'm not sure what it is, but when it asked me if I wanted to run or save it, I just ran it anyway!

I then reinstalled Dell Security Centre and all is well.

Checking back to the folder in Program files on the C: drive, there's a whole bunch of files and folders now so it appears when you do commit an uninstall for the corrupted Dell Security Centre, the system doesn't completely clear it out.

You learn something every day don't you!

Howden - sounds like the scammers who have been nicking ID information from computers - you did the right thing mate!

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2011 11:00

Go to "Control Panel" - "Notification Area Icons" - scroll down to "Dell Support Center Updater" - set your preference on the right in the drop-down box to "Hide icon and notifications"

Hope this helps.

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2011 11:00

Go to "Control Panel" - "Notification Area Icons" - scroll down to "Dell Support Center Updater" - set your preference on the right in the drop-down box to "Hide icon and notifications"

Hope this helps.

3 Posts

August 4th, 2011 03:00

Hi, I am sorry that my answer to your question didnt get here , sent it via my Iphone as I was nowhere near a PC yesterday.

Obviously not a good idea.

my answer was 

"Hi, yes those were the files/subdirectories which I deleted.

The Aulauncher resided in my Downloads directory. It tries to execute its program to install your Dell Security Centre when it detects that it is missing on startup. I deleted and reloaded as a precaution, though not absolutely necessary.

The existing Dell Security Centre directory and its contents probably should have been deleted during the Uninstallation process

(Black mark for the programmers) Dell please note....... 

Hope this is helpful"

I note your later posts , glad you are up and running again.

27 Posts

August 4th, 2011 09:00

Hi krnchmb,

I think the reason why I can't see it is because I didn't "save" the download before I ran it.

Since the file was from Dell, (the manufacturer of my computer), I didn't have any security worries about downloading and running straight away.  If it had been anyone else, I would have saved it and scanned it with my McAfee before running.

Is this what you did?  I suspect it is.

3 Posts

August 4th, 2011 14:00

Yes I do that automatically. All programs are fallible. Belts and braces where I used to work. ;-)

No Events found!