Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

3 Posts

March 16th, 2020 14:00

How do I reload Office Home and Student 2019

I have a month old Dell XPS 8930 that I bought with Office Home and Student 2019. The first time that I go to use the software I get an error 0xc000012f. It says that c2r64.dll is either not designed for Windows or it contains an error. It also says try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact the software vendor for support. I don't have the original media since it came on the computer. I also don't have any license keys for Office. Any suggestions on how to repair this problem. Dell support wont help me unless I pay for it.

Mark

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

March 16th, 2020 14:00

This page should help. It looks like you are missing a file required for Office to run properly.

3 Posts

March 16th, 2020 16:00

I loaded this program but no luck. I loaded the x64 version since I have windows 10 (x64)

Mark

258 Posts

March 16th, 2020 17:00

@Mark348 

I suppose you could try to figure out what's missing, but I would not bother solving that problem.

I would source the software on media you can use, and the license you paid for.  This should be done when you pay for it so that you have it when you need it, like now.

Then I would uninstall what you have, restart, and install what you want.  In my experience, MS software always installs successfully.

Tip:  Never buy software from Dell, it's never a deal and comes with strings attached like the fix you're in.

GK

3 Posts

Yes. I learned my lesson today about buying preloaded software from Dell. Will I need license keys to reload the Office software? Is it possible to get the keys from my computer?

Mark

258 Posts

@Mark348 

I don't know since I've always avoided software from an OEM since it's never a deal... it's an easy profit for them.

Lately, MS seems to want to associate a software license with an MS account/user/customer.  Makes sense.  For instance, I bought your Office 2016 from Amazon.com via download.  Amazon issued a product key that re-directed me to MS who issued a second/actual product key that ultimately got linked to my MS account... I probably logged into it at some point even though I still insist on using a local Windows account... I snagged my preferred MS accounts a long time ago.

So, with that in mind, an OEM issued MS product key might be on your PC.  And it might get revised once you log your PC into an MS account.  Regardless, I would try to get Dell to advise you on the best path forward.  Do you have a Dell account?  Maybe logging in will reveal owned software.  I stumbled across this today:

https://www.dell.com/support/software/us/en/04

GK

No Events found!