Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2006 00:00

MS Office 2000 Product Key

I am sure this has been asked 100s of times but I searched and didn't find what I needed.

I just received my new Dell Opteron. I want to move Office 2000 from the old Dell to the new one but I don't know which one is installed on the old one. Originally I bought 5 PCs and 5 copies of Office 2000. I have all the original disks and manuals but if I install from the old PC and install on the new I don't know which key to use.

I have tried several of the Freeware programs like Belarc Advisor or SIW.exe but they can't seem to get Office 2000 Key.

Any ideas?

5 Posts

March 10th, 2006 01:00

Oops. Don't know what I was thinking, Optiplex...
Guess I was getting AMD and Dell mixed up.

Anyway, I tried the computergeeks thing. But when I go to software all I really get is pretty much the same listing as the Add/Remove Programs. No Product Key...

Has anybody tried http://www.product-key.com/

11.9K Posts

@RAColling wrote:
I am sure this has been asked 100s of times but I searched and didn't find what I needed.

I just received my new Dell Opteron. I want to move Office 2000 from the old Dell to the new one but I don't know which one is installed on the old one. Originally I bought 5 PCs and 5 copies of Office 2000. I have all the original disks and manuals but if I install from the old PC and install on the new I don't know which key to use.

I have tried several of the Freeware programs like Belarc Advisor or SIW.exe but they can't seem to get Office 2000 Key.

Any ideas?

What's an Opteron?

Which key?  Irrelevant as all the copies are identical, use any one.  Of course, if it's OEM software that came with the old Dell, it's not legally transferrable to the new machine.

326 Posts

Open one of the Office apps, such as Word or Excel
Click on Help, About .. it will show the Product ID

As to your License ID .. get a copy of AIDA32 from here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html

Open it, click on Installed Software, Licenses
You will see the Actual Serial Number for Office in there

Message Edited by 85rx-7se on 03-09-2006 10:20 PM

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 10th, 2006 09:00

Try the Belarc Advisor  www.belarc.com and see if it shows the product key.

5 Posts

March 10th, 2006 14:00

I tried the Belarc Advisor and no key.

326 Posts

March 10th, 2006 15:00

RA ... Did you bother to Download and try AIDA32 that I listed above ? ? ?
This Will Give you your License ID .. Just install the program, open it,
select Software, Licenses

326 Posts

March 10th, 2006 18:00

Don't know what to tell you .. It does work, at least with Office 2002
version ... If the app is Installed, it should be able to retrieve the
Product ID & the License Number or Registration Code

5 Posts

March 10th, 2006 18:00

@85rx-7se wrote:

I mentioned that in my previous post that I had tried that aida32. I looked under software and there was no listing for licenses. There was one for installed programs but there was no licenses anywhere to be found.

11.9K Posts

March 10th, 2006 23:00

@RAColling wrote:

@85rx-7se wrote:

I mentioned that in my previous post that I had tried that aida32. I looked under software and there was no listing for licenses. There was one for installed programs but there was no licenses anywhere to be found.

As stated prior, if this is OEM software then you don't have the license to move it to a new PC anyway.

5 Posts

March 10th, 2006 23:00

The product keys are not OEM product keys.
I have the right to move this software.

If I didn't I would be all over Open Office and wouldn't go through this trouble.

April 5th, 2009 00:00

What if I am taking the origijnal PC that MS Office 2000 was bundled on and I'm formatting the hard drive and reinstalling OS, drivers, and apps.  I have an Office 2000 CD, so I use it to load the program BACK onto the original PC it was loaded on when sold retail, but no product key was used for the original install, so no product key can be recovered. 

Is this something that the DELL BIOS might cover regarding the MS product key embedded in BIOS?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 5th, 2009 15:00

Regardless of the licensing issues, I'd be careful with Office 2000 - particularly for email use (Outlook).  There are some nasty unpatched security holes in it.

If you want the key from your installed copy, this will do the job:

http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

3.7K Posts

April 5th, 2009 15:00

Is this something that the DELL BIOS might cover regarding the MS product key embedded in BIOS?

Hi, The only thing in your BIOS is your Service Tag, and they belong to dell.

April 5th, 2009 21:00

If you want the key from your installed copy, this will do the job:

http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Again, my MS Office 2000 install was an OEM install done by Dell, so there is no product key.  I've already tried to find the product key, which is how I discovered that it must have been an OEM install, since they don't use a product key AND the install date was prior to the ship date for my computer.  Obviously this is a Dell issue that IS "unresolved," since I am NOT trying to transfer the software to another PC.  I'm just trying to return my PC to it's factory condition, which is impossible to do with OEM installed software.  I don't have my own personal server, so won't be using Outlook.  In fact, the OEM install does not include Outlook.

6.4K Posts

April 5th, 2009 22:00

Just wanted to mention one thing; versions of Office earlier than Office 2000 did not require activation, but my copy of Office 2000 did indeed insist on being activated the first time I installed it.  That was on a Windows 98 machine.  Since it is a commercial copy, I have moved it to my Dell 2400 after I recycled the Win 98 machine, and I noticed it acted a bit differently than it behaved before.  The Microsoft Office page has counted my installation as being valid, however, so I am assuming it activated correctly and I just wasn't watching close enough.

As I recall, Microsoft Office 2000 was the first piece of software sold by Microsoft that wanted to be activated.  Sometimes I do wish for earlier days when I didn't have to worry about that kind of thing.

No Events found!