Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2004 19:00

MSO 2003 Outlook - recognizing email addresses when typing

I have a Dell with MSO2003. The entries in the contact lists are present.

When I open up Outlook and go to send a message, I start typing the email address joe.blow@somewhere.com. In Outlook 2000, outlook would recognize and select the full addresses that met the typed letters starting with "jo". Outlook 2003 is not doing this. I have to type the whole address.

Is there a switch somewhere that causes the typing recognition as before?

John

1.7K Posts

September 18th, 2004 20:00

Tools, Options, Preferences tab. Click the Email Options button, click the Advanced Email Options button, and place a check in the Suggest names while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields. Online help....

• Suggest names while completing To, Cc, and Bcc fields check box - Automatically checks the names entered in the To, Cc, and Bcc boxes to see if the name is recognized. If a name has been entered before, Microsoft Outlook will remember it and suggest it as you are typing. If it is the name you want, simply click on the suggested name to select it.

• You may want to look at the Automatic Name Checking feature. According to online help....

• Automatic name checking check box — Automatically checks the names entered in the To, Cc, and Bcc boxes of messages. If an exact match is found, the name is underlined. If multiple names are found that match what you type, a red wavy line appears under the name. Right-click the name to see the other names found. If multiple names are found that match what you type, and you have used the address before, the name you chose previously from the list of names found appears with a green dashed underline to remind you that there are other choices.

255 Posts

September 20th, 2004 14:00

Allan:

Do you know how is this done in OL 2000? The suggesting names bit is not in the Advanced e-mail options. I had reinstalled OL2000 and can't figure out how to get this feature working again.
No Events found!