Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2002 03:00

Microsoft Access database

This is going to sound like a very stupid question. But on my new Dell computer, I cannot locate the Microsoft Access database software. My computer came with Works Suite 2002 installed. The Microsoft Access database should be a part of that software package shouldn't it?
Can someone advise me what I should do or look for? Thank you.

Jerry Jackson

206 Posts

July 19th, 2002 14:00

No, the Works Suite application does not include MS Access. This application is usually associated with MS Office in a business environment. To the best my knowledge it is not a part of the Office application, but is purchased separately to supplement Office. At least that was the setup where I worked prior to retirement. Access may currently be included in certain versions of MS Office. This issue should be researched by the buyer prior to purchase of MS Office.

Works Suite includes stripped-down versions of the applications contained within MS Office except for MS Word. The Works Word Processor contained within Works Suite can be used instead of Word, but it is not loaded by default during the typical installation. Other features in Works Suite that are similar to Office are a Works Spreadsheet, Works Database, Works Calendar and Home Publishing.

The Works Suite application is essentially for people who cannot handle the complexity of the Office applications. It is also less expensive than MS Office. Hope this helps.

Eleanor
Windows 98SE, I.E. 5.5 (SP2), Norton 2000 6.10.23, ZoneAlarm 2.6.362
Dimension XPS T600r
128MB SDRam
HP DeskJet 895Cse

Message Edited on 07/19/02 11:16AM by eleanor246

10 Posts

April 11th, 2004 15:00

Works Suite 2004 has error message 1919 re Access Database. Since it seems not to be included with this new program how do I acquire it so that I can work the card programs etc.  Thank you

10 Posts

April 12th, 2004 16:00

The error message in MS Works Suite 2004 (also MS Works Suite 2003-but that is another story), reads:" Error 1919. Error configuring ODBC data source: MS Access Database, ODBC error 6: component not found in registry. Verify that the file MS Access Database exists and that you can access it."

When opening "Programs:: in MS 2004-to make a greeting card, etc. the display settings change so that everything is enlarged and blurry. I can change the display settings back temporarily, but the program wizards do not open.  I clicked on "Repair" in Word to get the 1919 error message and interperted it to mean "object oriented" which would be the wizards. (?) I have read all the knowledge base documents, but do not feel confident in going into the registry- and am hoping there is another solution.  Thank you.

206 Posts

April 12th, 2004 16:00

If you're serious about purchasing Microsoft Access, I believe you would have a better chance for a reply by posting on the Software - Other Software board or Software - MS Office board since it is not a Works Suite application. However, purchasing MS Access for making greeting cards seems rather drastic. It will probably be expensive and I doubt that it has a greeting cards option. Yes, it has a database function. My experience with MS Access was within a manufacturing environment. It was used by hundreds of personnel through a server. This is a complex application. In my opinion, it was not intended for preparing greeting cards.

The 1919 Access database error message must be coming from a particular application contained within Works Suite 2004. Your posts do not state the particular application you are using in preparing your greeting cards. It is suspected that it might be Picture It! or Home Publishing. In addition, the exact text of the error is missing. Consequently, resolving the error will be difficult.

206 Posts

April 12th, 2004 17:00

Leave it to Bill Gate$ to make life difficult! If you have found specific MS Knowledge Base Articles relevant to this error in Works Suite 2004, you're doing better than me. All articles I've found relate to numerous applications, MS Office, Internet Explorer, Outlook, Windows XP and too many others to mention. Searching using Google and Microsoft, I have found none concerning Works Suite or Picture It!.

I understand your hesitance in editing the Registry. I haven't "been there, done that" yet. (Knock on wood.) I've viewed the Registry and editing doesn't appear that difficult. Just be sure to follow the instructions exactly. At this point that may be your only choice. Backing up the Registry before editing will "save the day," if a mistake is made. The backup procedure is linked in several KB articles I viewed. For example, the exact error you are receiving is indicated in KB Article 818954. However, this article covers Office 2003 and numerous other applications, none of which are Works Suite 2004. Maybe MS Word within Works Suite is the "key" or "link" to this error. MS Office also contains Word. Then again, how does MS Access figure into this issue? Access is not included in MS Office. I'm just guessing here. Only Gate$ know.

Good luck!

10 Posts

April 13th, 2004 01:00

Thanks for your reply. I have been confusing everyone (especially myself) as the 1919 error message is brought up when I click on "Word Repair" and MS Works Suite does not contain Access. So, at least I am happy I have not tried to fix this by going into the registry  The problem is when I click on Task Launcher the settings change and the program wizards are missing. I had the same problem with MS Works Suite 2003 and was sent MS Works 2004 as a replacement, but 2004 also has the very same problem. So, I guess I now will search for Task Launcher problems ?

(It really is hard to get an answer when one does not know the question)

Signed, Sorry in San Diego

No Events found!