Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 24th, 2011 19:00

Microsoft Office 2010 Corrupted and won't run

I purchased a Dell Studio XPS9100 (with Windows 7 Home Premium) with Office Home and Office 2010 pre-installed. Somehow, the Office suite has become corrupted. None of the components will run. I went to the Programs and Features control panel to attempt to repair the installation. After several minutes, I received the following error message in a window titled "Problem with Shortcut":

Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid.

When I try to launch any Office component, the installer program launches, and I eventually get the same error message as above.

Because Office 2010 came pre-installed, I don't have a disk I can use to re-install. How can I repair or re-install Office 2010 under these circumstances?

--Larry

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 25th, 2011 07:00

If you have the Office 2010 product key, you can download Office 2010 from microsoft and reinstall using your product key.  I haven't tried this but others report this will work.  Be sure to download the same version of Office 2010 that you have. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 25th, 2011 08:00

Thanks for the feedback and that it worked. :emotion-2:

1 Rookie

• 

91 Posts

Brilliant! That seems to have worked perfectly. I downloaded and installed a trial copy from Microsoft.com, made sure the components would launch correctly, then applied the Activation Key that came with my PC purchase. All seems to functioning at this point. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :emotion-2:

My troubles began when I took the advice of a local techie I can usually trust. When I ordered my new Dell, I knew I needed MS Office, but I needed Access for just one rather insignificant database I'd created years ago to maintain information about my videos (DVDs and tapes). The aforementioned techie recommended that I purchase the PC with Office Home and Business pre-installed, then install only MS Access 2003 from the installation disk for that product (and using the Activation Key from that disk).

I did as he suggested, and everything seemed to play nice together at first. Gradually, however, problems developed. The first sign was when the icons for the shortcuts for the Office components suddenly displayed as generic "system" icons. Deleting the Windows icon cache and allowing Windows to recreate it didn't help.

Thinking my installing Access 2003 might be the root cause of the flakiness, I went to the Programs and Features control panel and uninstalled the Microsoft Office 2003 entry. That was when things really went haywire. When I tried to launch any of the Office components, the installer program tried to launch, and it eventually hung and I had to kill the process with Task Manager. Trying to repair the installation using Programs and Features resulted in the "Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid" error message I described in my original post. (I've since read that that error message is a byproduct of purchasing pre-installed copies of Office from PC vendors.)

Thanks again for the assist; hopefully, the full re-install using the downloaded copy has undone the confusion and I can get back to enjoying my new PC.

--Larry

1 Rookie

• 

91 Posts

Now can anyone suggest a program other than MS Access that can open an Access database? I don't want to purchase Access 2010 just for my one little database, and I'm not about to try re-installing Access 2003 on this machine.

--Larry

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 25th, 2011 13:00

Download the free "Open Office" suite of programs.  They are comparable and compatible with MS Office.  www.openoffice.org

No Events found!