Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 26th, 2007 14:00

Need a Computer Whiz (Two questions about Word)

If anyone could help me out on this, I would be forever grateful.  I have an Inspiron E1705 with Microsoft Windows Media Edition.  It includes Microsoft Workssuite 2006.

ISSUE ONE:
I have my class notes saved on my notebook computer.  I have them stored in a folder with a shortcut on my desktop.  When I double-click to open up the notes, however, sometimes it will give me the message of "it's a read only" or something like that. (I'm always so freaked out at seeing the message that I just click the "x").
How in the world is this file somehow a "read only?"  Does it matter that I have the file saved on my flashdrive (exact same file, exact same name - sort of as a back-up)?
Mind you, I would not worry as much if it happened EVERY time, as that might be a problem just with that file.  However, it only happens occassionally, with the sporadic nature of it causing me worry.

ISSUE TWO: 
Where do I start.  So before I close down my class notes in a Word Document, I will hit "Control + S"  Well then when I hit the "x" at the top of the word document, a message box appears from Microsoft informing me that there was a problem, Microsoft Word needs to close, and proceeds to start recovering the document I was trying to close.  (Nota Bene:  I found out the hard way that if you don't want to recover it because you think, "Oh, I just hit Control+S before the message appeared," you will NOT get back the most recent changes to the document.)  That is very frustrating as if these notes are gone I will be .

I don't know why Microsoft Word hates me all of a sudden.  Again, any assistance with this problem would be very appreciated.  If you need more explicit information on what is happening, I would be more than happy to post.

Thanks again.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 26th, 2007 15:00

It's the flash drive. You must copy the file back to your hard drive to edit and remove the Read Only property. All the files on the flash drive or cd/dvd will be marked as Read Only. Your shortcut must be pointing to some of the flash drive files. For your saving of notes, use File, Save as instead of Control+S. Give it a diff name if you want to save the original, too. If not, just use File, Save. Then wait a little before you close the file to give it a chance to save and clean up.

10 Posts

January 27th, 2007 14:00

I believe you were the one who helped me with my other Word problem as well!

You may think I'm an idiot, but what is the best way to "copy the file back to your hard drive to edit and remove the Read Only" Property(Class Notes) file?

Things you have enlightened me on that I did not know:

1)  All the files on the flash drive or cd/dvd will be marked as Read Only.
2)  For your saving of notes, use File, Save as instead of Control+S.

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 3rd, 2007 19:00

You can use drag and drop, Sent to, or right click copy and paste. To remove read only, right click on the moved file, go to properties and uncheck it, OK it.
No Events found!