Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2008 13:00

OpenManage IT Assistant Config trouble

I'm having a problem configuring IT Assistant. I'm looking to implement IT Assistant and I'm testing it and trying to learn the basics. I have 2 systems setup. One as the Management Station and has the IT Assistant installed and the SNMP configured, the other is the client and I installed OpenManage Client Instrumentation and configured SNMP. I've opened up the documentation for IT Assistant and have been following along their SNMP protocol setup as well as configuring IT Assistant to Discover and Monitor this client with OMCI on it. It doesn't see the client and I have been going over the documentation through and through but can't seem to get it configured properly. I may be missing something here but I'd like to know just a standard config for IT Assistant and any ideas as to why the client isn't being seen. I've included the correct ranges to discover the machine and I've even configured the range to look at the machine's specific IP address. On the main interface it doesn't show any discovered devices. I tried the Troubleshooting Tool and it passes the SNMP connectivity, Ping, and Name Resolution tests. Thanks!

December 17th, 2008 11:00

I have a similar problem. My systems have a regular interface (eth0) and a IPMI driver with its own IP range. When I tried the ip range used on eth0 on my servers I could not find any server, but using the IPMI IP range all the servers were discovered properly.

Can anybody with more knowledge explain us how the discovery process should be?

Thanks!

32 Posts

December 17th, 2008 12:00

Yes it seems as though there's no real support for this software. I followed the install guide and the laptop with the client on it wasn't discovered. I'd like some information on this and an explanation like you said.

March 4th, 2009 07:00

I finnaly could get the discovery process sucessfull. Open manage install several 'services', but SNMP is not enabled by default. So you must enable it to get SNMP discovery to work.

First, tune-up your snmp.conf file, and then restart the snmp service

Second, enable the OpenManage SNMP service this way:

# /etc/init.d/dataeng enablesnmp

the restart the services:

# srvadmin-services.sh restart

You will see the snmp server was not running, but now it is.

Make sure 161 UDP port is open for the it assistance server. Try discovery again, it should now work.

The only problem I have now is that I cannot get 'SET' snmp working.

Regards.

32 Posts

March 4th, 2009 08:00

I will give that a shot. Sounds promising. I won't be able to test it out til later this week because I have set it back up again. After not being able to get it to work properly I just rotated out those computers I had the setup on. Now, I have to figure out the install again and test what you've recommended. I will check in with you guys in a couple days to let you know! Thanks!

32 Posts

March 4th, 2009 08:00

Also do I run those commands on both the Server machine and client machine? What do you mean Tune-Up my conf file?

March 4th, 2009 12:00

I mean just setup your snmp.conf, 'get/set' community names. Also be sure to include the IT Assistant IP as trap sink.

Regards

No Events found!