Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

November 10th, 2007 16:00

Outlook2007 and McAfee

Recently, my Outlook2007 has been hanging when I reply to
a message.  

I "fixed" the problem by turning off the outgoing message scan.

Anybody else having similar problems?  Fixes?

Vista Home Premium
Outlook2007 12.0.6023.5000
McAfee Security Center 7.2

thx,

Bill

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 13th, 2007 17:00

You already found the best fix. Outgoing mail scans are not necessary, slow things down and cause problems.

9 Posts

November 22nd, 2007 14:00

I was having Outlook freezes and crashes 4-5 times daily since receiving my new XPS Vista laptop. I was extremely close to returning it or requesting  re-flash and installation of XP OS.

I installed Windows Live OneCare based upon a tip. It has been 3 days and the laptop runs much quicker and I have not had a single freeze or crash.

Removal of McAfee and installing of One Care was the only change.

I highly recommend for customer sat purposes Dell makes Live One Care a recommendation.

3 Posts

November 22nd, 2007 16:00

Thanks for the suggestions.  The anti-virus issue is a tough one.  I wouldn't doubt that Microsoft is intentionally making life difficult for McAfee and Norton in an attempt to get more business for their own AV solution.

To follow up on my own problems, as things got progressively worse, I everntually went to Dell support.  I was advised to do an "Image Restore", in which the c: drive is reformatted
(wiped clean) and the disc image (at factory shipment time) reinstalled. 
This actually made things a lot worse.  Based on those developments,
Dell sent me a new hard drive with a new factory image. 

So far (after a few days) things appear to be working smoothly.  We will see.  If I am lucky,
then my problem was a flakey hard drive.  I can always hope.....

I will keep the Windows OneCare idea in mind.  I would hope that Microsoft could manage
to get their AV software to work with Vista better than McAfee, but who knows.  I am
just very reluctant to support Microsoft any more than I have to.  Since they
effectively have a monopoly, there is little or no market pressure to force them
to make good products.  Thank heavens for AMD.  Without them, Intel would be
just as bad.

But, here I am, running on....

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions. 
No Events found!