Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2009 18:00

RealPlayer SP AND X64 Windows 7?

Well, I am not confident that I will get any replies here.  I posted on the RealPlayer web site but now they have shut down their community forum until New Years.

Does anyone with Windows 7 (64 bit) use RealPlayer SP (the latest version)?  The logo on the home page for Real suggests it is compatible with Windows 7 (period).  However, I know (from history) you cannot always take things at face value.  When Vista was launched, Real ONLY supported the RealPlayer in the 32 bit version of Vista.....yet they ran the Vista logo.  It took a long time for this to change before the player became fully compatible with both 32 bit and 64 bit Vista.

I 'think' the latest player will work on X64 Windows 7.  However, I've been trying to get some feedback from other users to avoid 'hosing' my computer.  I doubt that would happen but it sure would be nice to get some feedback..  Any takers on this one?  I wanted to buy the paid version of RealPlayer SP if it 'plays nicely' with X64 Windows 7.  Thanks for any feedback.

4.6K Posts

November 17th, 2009 00:00

I am using WIndows 7 64bit Scott, but you'll never catch me installing Realplayer itself, so I can't confirm it one way or the other?

If I ever came across a Realplayer file, I'd install Real Alternative to handle it.

Is there a particular reason you use Realplayer itself?

388 Posts

November 17th, 2009 17:00

I wanted to check out some utube videos and then burn them to dvd among other things. This player is marketed as being the most friendly software (full featured) in terms of not only downloading utubes but also very conveniently doing things such as burning utubes to dvds...... without technicalites of going through all these video conversions or other 'muchao'.

Real seems to have a niche in the market from articles I have read online about them so this is a positive for them.  Unfortunately, at the same time, it seems Real has had a history of being behind the technology curve with Windows. When Vista was launched in early 2007, I believe it took Real approximately 1/ 2 year to get the bugs out of the player with X86 Vista.  Then (if I recall correctly), it was only last year that they came out with a player that was marketed as being compatible with X64 Vista. (I never tried it in X64 Vista which I ran on my pc for some time).

Reading the Real forum, I gathered things such as someone mentioning that the application uses some kind of overlay technique to optimize the video controls and how those 'older' video technologies don't work so well with the Windows Aero inferface. Supposedly, there is a workaround to that issue which involves moving the slider (under display options of RealPlayer) all the way to the left. Yet others (using the player) have made no mention of that.  Technical support at Real has confirmed this issue (at present) and state they are working on a fix (without having to modify the slider control in the display option).  However, it made me wonder if there were other uncovered issues.  Adding to that, there is no specific documentation on the Real site concerning 64 bit testing (just the Windows 7 logo on their home page).

Knowing Real's history with Windows Vista, I was a bit skeptical.  I do not want the current version until it has been fully tested and fixed under 64 bit Win 7.

Do you know of alternatives that are 'full' featured and work with a user friendly interface like Real?  I appreciate your thoughts. 

12 Posts

November 17th, 2009 18:00

I actually installed RealPlayer SP on Win 7 x64 a couple of days ago...mostly for the same reasons that you want to use it.  I have no experience with RP problems on Vista, as I never used Vista - I downgraded my other 2 PCs to XP the day I got them, and did not have a problem with RP there.  However, I've always found their growing control over the startup screen with the ads and online content and updates that they always try to push very annoying, so I stopped upgrading it a while ago (turning off as much of that after each update became a bother!)

this latest version, once you get all the auto this and auto that under control, seems to emulate windows media player quite a bit -same 'Now Playing' and Library interface etc.

I'd say go for it....what fun is a PC if you don't have something challenging to 'fix' or un-install from time to time  :)

4.6K Posts

November 18th, 2009 07:00

what fun is a PC if you don't have something challenging to 'fix' or un-install from time to time  :)

I usually have enough to be going on with, just trying to get Windows working as I want :emotion-3:

:emotion-4:

388 Posts

November 18th, 2009 18:00

I don't mind tinkering around at all on my computer.  However, I am not up for introducing suspected compatibility problems either.......especially when I've now got X64 Windows 7 running just the way I want it to.  I've got a system image but sometimes that doesn't always go as planned in the event of a restore.

Despite the millions of people who use the full version of RealPlayer, I get the distinct impression that the vast majority of them are Windows XP users....with some X86 Vista users.  This seems clear given the extremely limited feedback I could gather on the Real Community Forum.  Speaking of their forum, they have shut it down until after New Years for some new and improved version they plan on releasing.

I have reported the graphic problem that Real seems to have with the windows aero interface directly to Real.  Their tier level 2 technical support acknowledged the problem (after I pointed it out to them).  They said their technical engineers are working hard to get the player fully operational with X64 Windows 7.  Meanwhile, they continue to display the Windows 7 logo on their homepage as if there are no issues whatsoever. 

Most of the latest versions of 32 bit programs 'just work' in 64 bit windows without making all sorts of tweaks.  Also, I have to wonder if there are other uncovered issues with their latest player and X64 Windows 7.  Again, they only acknowledged the aero problem 'after' it was brought to their attention.  So again, it makes me wonder what other issues RealPlayer SP may have at this time with X64 Windows 7.

I like the simplicity that their latest player seems to offer with one click downloads of utubes, the ease of burning vidoes to dvd's, etc.  However, people like myself, want a player that works solid with no annoying issues.

A-Man, it sounds like you've got the player working after making some modifications.  However, I am unsure of the extent of your usage of the player at this point which may uncover other issues.  Thanks to both of you for responding.

2 Posts

May 19th, 2012 23:00

I have a dell (which i despise) windows 7 64 bit and realoneSP works fine. just download the latest version and you should be fine.

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

May 20th, 2012 13:00

Debra,

You have replied to a topic that is almost 3 years old. Thanks for the information, but it may not help the original poster at this late date. I'm not sure why you despise your Dell, but if you are having problems with it, perhaps posting on the applicable forum(s) at DCF will help us resolve your Dell system issues.

No Events found!