Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 29th, 2011 00:00

Sony PMB 5.2

Have installed Sony PMB 5.2 on my XPS L502X Core i5 64 bit Windows 7 laptop. Although all my mpeg pictures are recognised by PMB the software does not recognise my video files previously imported from my Sony Handicam DCR SX53 on my Dell tower running Windows XP. Can anyone help provide a solution please?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 31st, 2011 11:00

If you do decide to switch to Windows Movie Maker there is a very informative website for it, www.windowsmoviemakers.net

November 1st, 2011 14:00

Many thanks, ieee488.

The Windows Movie Maker website you pointed out to me proved  very useful.

Having updated Sony PMB to 5.8.01, I tried several ways to get it to function correctly but to no avail. It did not seem to like the MPEG-2 formats my videos were in and I didn't relish the task of converting them all to WMV or other format.

Having looked at, and tried, Windows Live Movie Maker, it did all I required of it and I was impressed with it's ease of use. Consequently, I have un-installed Sony PMB and will become an enthusiastic Windows Live Movie Maker user.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Dave W.

Many thanks, fireberd.

Having updated Sony PMB to 5.8.01, I tried several ways to get it to function correctly but to no avail. It did not seem to like the MPEG-2 formats my videos were in and I didn't relish the task of converting them all to WMV or other format.

Having looked at, and tried, Windows Live Movie Maker, it did all I required of it and I was impressed with it's ease of use. Consequently, I have un-installed Sony PMB and will become an enthusiastic Windows Live Movie Maker user.

Regards,

Dave W.

Many thanks, mpo.

Regards,

Dave W.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 29th, 2011 04:00

Sounds like a question to be posted to Sony, not to Dell. This is a PMB, whatever that is, issue not a hardware or Operating System issue.

October 30th, 2011 02:00

Many thanks Firebird.

PMB (Picture Motion Browser) is Sony's application software, supplied with all Sony digital photographic equipment, for importing into and managing image files on, PCs from their camcorders and cameras.

Whether my problem is a Sony one or a Dell one, depends upon which company you see as the prime contractor or supplier, responsible for holding things together and providing overall integration and operability, rather than continually changing hardware and infrastructure products to force people to spend hard earned money unnecessarily, or force other companies out of business.

I see Dell as the prime supplier providing good quality solutions, not one that is merely locking me into their products.

Regards,

Dave W.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 30th, 2011 04:00

Consider this, the PC or the Operating System does not have to be compatible with ANY software, the software MUST be compatible with the PC and Operating System.  

Using your theory anything you add to the PC that doesn't work is a "Dell" or "Microsoft" problem.  If you continue to think that way you are in trouble no matter what brand of PC you buy, even a MAC.

398 Posts

October 30th, 2011 14:00

It looks like the latest version of PMB is 5.8.01. Have you tried updating the software to the latest version?

October 31st, 2011 04:00

You make a very good point, Firebred. However, when you are in a minefield it is comforting to know that you have someone with you with a mine detector. I assumed that to be Dell themselves.

I am new to this community group concept and it would appear that Dell Community has hundreds of people with "mine detectors". Long may it prosper.

Thanks again.

Dave W.

October 31st, 2011 05:00

Thanks, mpo.

I tried the "check for updates" feature in PMB on my XP tower and, although it updated various components within itself, it remained as version 5.2.

I was just about to ditch PMB and move to MS Movie Maker or Windows Live Movie Maker - don't know the difference or which is better - when I got your post.

I will re-install PMB on my XPS laptop and try "check for updates" from there, in case the updating software recognizes the difference between XP and Windows 7 and 32 bit or 64 bit processors. Hopefully it will, and update to 5.8.01.

If it doesn't, I will look for PMB 5.8.01 elsewhere or switch to MS Movie Maker or Windows Live Movie Maker. Have you any experience of these and which would you recommend?

Regards and thanks again,

Dave W.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 31st, 2011 06:00

I was not trying to hassle you or stick up for Dell.  I do PC support, for all Windows PC brands and mostly all brands except Dell.  When a client has a problem such as this it always turns out to be the applications software and not the PC - either it's incompatible with the PC or the Operating System or it has a bug in the program (or in some cases just doesn't support what you want to do).

October 31st, 2011 11:00

I didn't feel hassled at all Fireberd, in fact I was pleased you responded. It is re-assuring to know that there are knowledgeable people like you out there to help. Regards.

No Events found!