Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

March 22nd, 2006 15:00

Dell 5100MP problems

We have purchased seven of the Dell 5100MP projectors. We love the features and how bright and clear it projects, but we have had overheated failures on five of the seven units we have purchased. The interesting part of the failure is that it happens when we power on the unit sometimes first thing in the morning. We are able to get the unit to restart only when we disconnect the power cord from the power source. The unit will run all day after it has restarted. Three of the five have failed multiple times. The units are mounted from the ceiling in an air conditioned room. We do not beleive it is a heat issue but some kind of sensor problem. The only option Dell has given us is to unplug the projector for ten minutes and restart unit. Dell has agreed to replace all the units we are having problems with.

Tj

22 Posts

March 22nd, 2006 15:00

maybe your projector needs cleaned. when did you get those projectors?

4 Posts

March 22nd, 2006 16:00

They have only been hanging for less than a month. They are clean as far as I can tell.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 23rd, 2006 12:00

tytj,

Please provide me with the following information in a private message, not on the board -
Complete name of person to contact:
Shipping address:
Daytime phone of contact:
Service tags (all 7):
Reason: 5100MP projector overheat message

1 Message

March 24th, 2006 02:00

Once the overheat problem occurred, did the display still there (Lamp is on) or no display (Lamp is off) ?

4 Posts

March 24th, 2006 13:00

The lamp was still on. The only way to turn off the unit was to unplug it from the power source.

1 Message

May 11th, 2006 16:00

I'm having the same problem.  My projector is only 4 months old.  I'm not too happy.  Do I just call dell or how do I get this problem solved?

4 Posts

May 11th, 2006 17:00

We updated the firmware, but we are still having the problem. 6 out of the 7 we purchased have had the Over Heating problem. I have just recived three projectors to replace the three that have failed since the firmware upgrade. They have not given an answer to what is failing. I would call their tech support. If one of tthese fail after they have been replaced we will be returnning all of them and going with another brand of projector. I like the features of the 5100MP, but I will not have a projector I can not count on.

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2011 14:00

Dear, "Liason":

How can I get our projector repaired / replaced / updated?

Is there a newer firmware that I can upload to the projector?

Please advise.

WJR

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 4th, 2011 21:00

The firmware was never made available on our Driver Library. The only way to get it is to exchange them for replacements while still under warranty.

1 Message

May 26th, 2020 19:00

Well it’s clearly out of warranty now, but I just purchased a “Like-New” 5100MP and also just put in a new OEM replacement lamp. It overheats in 5minutes. So now what can I do? Can I download the updated firmware? It’s really clean inside and out. Like it just came out of the box for the first time, ever. 

No Events found!