Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

2 Posts

May 29th, 2019 06:00

How can I use SAS 15K RPM drives in a PowerEdge R530 Server that was configured only with 3,5 inch SATA drives?

As the title suggests,

How can I use 15K RPM SAS Drives with a PowerEdge R530 that was configured with 3,5 Inch SATA drives?
This is a bit new for me, any advice is welcome! I've read about converters, but is that the right way to go? Can you still take advantage of the 15K RPM functionality? Also, can I use the SAS drives in RAID when using a converter or any other way to connect them?

Thanks in advance!

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

May 29th, 2019 08:00

What storage controller is in the server? If it is a PERC hardware controller, then you can switch drives and be on your merry way, but if it is from the software controller family, it wouldn't work.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

May 29th, 2019 10:00

The backplane will take SAS drives, but as Dylan pointed out, as long as you have an add-in SAS controller card, you can configure/use them.

May 31st, 2019 01:00

Hi Dylan,

Thanks for replying!

It is a PERC controller yes!

The thing I'm mainly wondering about is, how can I plug in my hot swappable drives, in to the server SATA backplane with some kind of converter / adapter? Is there a dell part for this?

Thank you in advance!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

May 31st, 2019 06:00

Backplanes are SAS. If you have a backplane, you can plug in a SAS drive OR a SATA drive (SAS is "backward-compatible" with SATA). If all you had was a SATA data/power cable then you could not plug in a SAS drive to it, but backplanes are SAS so as long as you have a SAS controller on the other end (PERC) then you can use either SAS or SATA.

No Events found!