Start a Conversation

Unsolved

GA

61 Posts

September 23rd, 2022 23:00

How to disable certain front panel alerts?

This new motherboard I bought to replace the older one (bricked idrac) seems to be with one of the fan's sensor failing (B1 i guess). Once it seems like every fan has 2 sensors for redundancy purposes and the B2 sensor is allright, everything is fine. The thing is: the frontal lights keep blinking. These two, actually:

Gregasd_0-1664001944580.png

Id like to be able to force the system to ignore fan's B1 sensor problems at all. Is that possible? I dont want to turn off alerts for anything else, only for this faulty fan sensor.

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

September 25th, 2022 04:00

I do not believe you can disable a sensor. If the issue is fixed you can clear SEL logs to make the front panel LED to Green. Can you share the server model. Also update iDRAC and BIOS to latest FW and check the behavior. 

61 Posts

September 25th, 2022 05:00

I dont want to disable the sensor. I want to disable any front panel alerts related to that sensor. I want that when the server notices that the fan sensor is not responding, it does not light up lights on the front panel about it.

R420
Bios version: 2.9.0
IDRAC firm version: 2.63.60
IPMI version: 2.00

In the "System event log" the entry about it is that "Fan 2A RPM is less than the lower critical threshold".

• 

3.6K Posts

September 25th, 2022 15:00

Hi,

'Fan 2A RPM..."  ->
This bit is a bit strange. First I would recommend bringing idrac and BIOS up to date and see if it's still the same. If that doesn't help, then I am thinking a fan swapping test to see if there's something wrong with your current fan.

61 Posts

September 25th, 2022 16:00

I already swapped fans to see what happens and nothing happens, the error persists and in the same sensor. Ive swapped fan2 and 3 the first time I saw the error, then after repeating the test in the lifecycle, the error persists and it still happens in the FAN2 sensor. I guess this sensor is at the motherboard, or at least there is a certain malfunctioning circuit in it that receives the information from the sensor in the fan. Anyway I only want to disable the warning, I think its possible by what I saw in the web interface of IDRAC:

Gregasd_2-1664148122472.png

About updating... This motherboard is replacing another one that was working perfectly fine... until I tried to update the IDRAC and got it bricked. I dont think I want to update firmwares anymore in my Dells.

61 Posts

September 27th, 2022 14:00

Gregasd_0-1664315408181.png

Gregasd_1-1664315430915.png

Guys, I also need help to deal with the following: I have now 2 identical machines running at the same place. The one with no fan's sensors failing have many vms running and show these RPM in the second print. The one with 1 malfunctioning sensor have no VM running (its ESXi is idle atm) and shows the RPM you can see in the first print.

How can I make the machine with the malfunctioning sensor to use the default cooling profile, so its fans can get back to regular speed? They are probably running much faster than they should because this malfunctioning sensor. This machine is almost 10ºC cooler than the one with all sensors working fine.

• 

3.6K Posts

September 27th, 2022 22:00

Hi, for what I think, I don't think that is going to help. It sounds like we may need to take a look at the actual fan. That might be the one that needs a fix.              

61 Posts

September 28th, 2022 00:00

As I told you earlier, Ive tweaked the fans already. Ive tweaked the fan 2 by the fan 3 and the problem persisted in the fan 2A sensor. Cant be the fan.

• 

3.4K Posts

September 28th, 2022 03:00

What server model are we talking about? There may be a problem with the motherboard

61 Posts

September 29th, 2022 11:00

R420

Im suspecting its in fact a problem with the motherboard, and trying to find out how to disable alerts for this very specific sensor, because Im not willing to replace this motherboard again (the current one already is a replacement, the original one got its IDRAC bricked).

No Events found!