Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 21st, 2018 07:00

Lifecycle Controller update issue

Hello,

I am having an issue with an R610 server that I want to update through the lifecycle controller. When I choose FTP.Dell.com I can get the Catalog, it downloads it and verifies the Signature, but everytime I get an error that no updates are available even though I know there are some updates needed... Exact message is :
- "No Update is available. Ensure Windows catalog, and Dell Update Packages for Windows are used."

Can you please help me resole this issue?

Thanks,
Martin

June 5th, 2018 06:00

If anyone is using LCC firmware earlier than 1.7.5.4 you'll want to update as there was a bug in earlier versions that would cause update issues.  The problem discussed within this post is also impacting LCC 1.7.5.4 as well but just thought I'd give a head's up regarding known issues with previous versions.

June 5th, 2018 18:00

@matt-tier1net.com wrote:

If anyone is using LCC firmware earlier than 1.7.5.4 you'll want to update as there was a bug in earlier versions that would cause update issues.  The problem discussed within this post is also impacting LCC 1.7.5.4 as well but just thought I'd give a head's up regarding known issues with previous versions.

Thanks for the heads up.

3 Posts

June 7th, 2018 05:00

The problem persist also with the new catalog 18.05.01...

So Dell, what is going on here?

June 8th, 2018 04:00

Hi,

We have some PowerEdge R715 in our organization and they aren't able to be updated anymore using LifeCycle Controller...

It returns this error:

USC error.png

What I am doing now is:

• Download the update (.bin) on Dell site
  • Start the server with an Ubunut ISO
  • Install the update

There are only three updates for those servers (that I'm aware of):

• BIOS 3.4.1
  • RAID Controller 12.10.7-0001

Sorry... I just saw the other post with this problem.

It seems is not just a FTP temporary problem as it is affecting various models of servers...

June 11th, 2018 06:00

We have had a ticket open with Dell and they just acknowledged that they are able to reproduce the issue.

From Dell: 

One of our SME was working on this issue with Lab Servers and he confirmed that same issue was seen with the those Servers too. Confirmed, SME will submit an internal case with the next level team that there is an issue either with the ftp site or the catalog file(s). There might not be an immediate fix for this, it would take sometime but as soon as I get any update from the concerned team, I will communicate it with you.

June 15th, 2018 10:00

You'd think in light of the Spectre/Meltdown vulnerabilities Dell would want to make it easy to patch the BIOS of all the impacted servers.  We support 100s of Dell 11G servers that are still under support contracts and Dell's only suggestion is to create custom repos for each server?  So instead of Dell investing in more infrastructure to support 11G servers they are offloading that cost to their partners.  Unbelievable.  I can see now why so many of our fellow MSPs refuse to do business with Dell.

16 Posts

June 18th, 2018 04:00

The Link to the referenced KB Article does not work. It times out with a message that site can't be reached. kb.dell.com took too long to respond.

I have tried for several days using different browsers, different computers and even different Internet connections.  No luck. 

June 18th, 2018 08:00

16 Posts

June 18th, 2018 09:00

Thanks Matt.  I clearly need to spend more time figuring out how to search the Dell Support Site as my attempts to find the KB article failed. :Confused:

@matt-tier1net.com wrote:

I have the same issue loading the URL provided by Dell. 

This one should work for you: http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln310452/lc-lifecycle-firmware-update-error-no-update-is-available-on-any-11g-server?lang=e

1 Message

June 22nd, 2018 08:00

Hi, I also experience this issue trying to update 12th Gen r620 servers with _really_ old firmware (mostly.. we have some Rx15 machines that I'm now really sad about).

Some of our r620 servers with slightly more recent firmware in place have been easier to update.

Newer generation machines (r640's) show absolutely no problem updating, as expected.

I have also tried with SUU isos, and setting up v3 and also v2 DRM servers, but this has also proved problematic.

I can raise a proper support ticket with service tags and versions "soon" if necessary, as - especially for our r415's, r815's - this is going to be quite tedious moving forward.

Cheers

Richard

1 Message

December 18th, 2018 07:00

Similar issues but we do updates via dell openmanage for vCenter. in past years we run all updates near yearend but this year the process spins and hangs.

I have several 11g servers

We are considering installing dell repository and downloading updates to this location.

Is there a way to have the OpenMange vCenter point to a local repository to pull the updates rather than look to dell ftp and just spin / hang as dell has apparently removed all these files.

Dell just sold me a 5 year license 2 weeks ago with full knowledge that my servers were 11g. You would think the software would provide instructions what to do to provide alternative access to updates rather than just spin / hang due to no updates on the dell server. The OpenMange tool does correctly access which components have new updates / bios / drivers/ firmware available but just does not allow click install as it has in past.

Any tips on how to point the Dell OpenManage vCenter to a local dell repository would be appreciated.

23 Posts

December 20th, 2018 05:00

I posted a reply in that thread a couple hours ago on how to update a bunch of servers from local NFS share with SUU ISO mounted behind but it was removed for some reasons.

What could be a reason for that?

1 Message

December 21st, 2018 15:00

Firmware update can be done using the bootable iso file at https://dell.app.box.com/. for r410: https://dell.app.box.com/v/BootableR410/ for r510: https://dell.app.box.com/v/BootableR510/ etc...

1 Message

January 6th, 2019 22:00

This is BS. Instead of crippling this functionality for servers still under service contract, Dell should have seen the memory limitation coming and, for instance, started a new catalog for each subsequent generation. Or at least split off a 11G catalog that only has 11G updates in it so it's still usable for 11G servers.

Since the updates are still on the Dell servers the storage space is not the issue, so something like that could easily have been done and then 11G server owners would at most have to Google the problem and find that we just had to change "ftp.dell.com" into "11g.ftp.dell.com" or putting something in "Catalog Location" instead of leaving it blank.

Seeing as we can still generate a catalog that references the updates ourselves, it would have been trivial for Dell to generate a catalog for only 11G and put it under a different path on their FTP or on a different FTP. The fact that now hundreds or maybe thousands of people need to install DRM and generate the same catalogs over and over where Dell could have very easily automated it and prevented all this waste of time is not a technical issue or due to a memory limitation.

People at Dell aren't stupid, they knew this limitation was there, they also knew the above is possible. But someone decided they weren't going to do it to punish 11G owners for not buying newer hardware from them sooner, while still taking our service contract money. Disgusting. This is the last time I will rely on any vendor-specific solution. The easier it makes things in the present, the more time and money it will cost when you've come to rely on it and it will eventually stop working when you still need it.

Dropping online support for an advertised function of hardware that is still perfectly functional is the sign of a swindler. Boo!

1 Message

January 8th, 2019 10:00

Thanks for this!!  I needed to update an older PowerEdge T310 and this worked like a charm for me after

the LCC update would not work.  :Yes:

https://dell.app.box.com/v/BootableT310/

@CMBilisim wrote:
Firmware update can be done using the bootable iso file at https://dell.app.box.com/. for r410: https://dell.app.box.com/v/BootableR410/ for r510: https://dell.app.box.com/v/BootableR510/ etc...

No Events found!