Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 16th, 2009 11:00

CLI Command to enable access to a specific bookmark

I am trying to script a tape backup from a CDP copy of a database. I have already scripted the quiese and bookmark process on the database host. Now I need to access that bookmark on another host and can not for the life of me get the right syntax. I can access "latest" image but I can enable_image_access the bookmarked image directly.

Any assistance would bemuch appreciated.

257 Posts

November 16th, 2009 13:00

So, typically it would be

enable_image_access group="my group" image="my 10am image"

Is this what you are trying?

You can build the command interactively via the CLI.

James

257 Posts

November 16th, 2009 12:00

Hey there

We have a RP CLI document, which you probably looked at on Powerlink

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/300-009-433.pdf?

Enable_image_access

Parameters

group=

copy=

[image=<...> | latest | prev | next]

[time=HH:MM[:SS[:MICROS]] [DD/MM/YYYY]]

[image_type=all | bookmark | user_bookmark | system_bookmark] (Default: all)

[search_text=<...>]

[exact_text=yes | no] (Default: yes)

[scn= ]

[max_search_range= months | weeks | days | hrs | mins | secs]

[access_mode=logged | virtual_with_roll | virtual_without_roll] (Default: logged)

So, an example would be

enable_image_access group="my group" image=latest image_type=all

Thanks

James.

4 Posts

November 16th, 2009 12:00

This much I have working. The problem is that I do not want the "latest" bookmark. I want the one I named during the time the database was quiesed.

4 Posts

Color me pink... It was not obvious to me that the image parameter would accept a bookmark name. It makes perfect sense, though. I was trying to use the Image_type, search_text and exact_text parameters and they were simply not supplying any joy. Thank you!

257 Posts

Cool!

9 Posts

July 31st, 2018 03:00

2018 RP 5 - to use specific bookmark  I have to use

image=search_image image_type=user_bookmark  search_text='my bookmark label'

with image='my bookmark label'  only -  I will get a syntax error

675 Posts

July 31st, 2018 04:00

Can you please provide the full command you're trying to run and the output ?

Granted you're providing the group and copy parameters, it should work.

Regards,

Idan

9 Posts

July 31st, 2018 05:00

enable_image_acces group=mytestgroup image=my_bookmark copy=mycopy access_mode=virtual_with_roll

Error: Invalid ‘image’ parameter (with “,’ and without)

If it will, I will get something like “your splitter does not support virtual access”

RP 5.1c gen 5, vmax20k (something like rcm 6.0.19)

I have to use parameters as I have provided (search, user, text) to get it working.

I have run it now having copy accessible, it fails on syntax.

BR

Andrzej

675 Posts

July 31st, 2018 07:00

Indeed you should have either ' or "" for the value of image.

And the error you're getting on virtual access, that is expected as the VMAX2 splitter supports only logged access. Virtual access is supported with VNX, VNXe and Unity splitters.

Hope that helps,

Idan

9 Posts

August 2nd, 2018 01:00

And the question how to use it in a batch:

1. Force command "enable_image_access" to not ask for confirmation.

2. If using a set of commands with plink (-m command_file), I have almost always incorrect usage error from RP, while from normal ssh session it is ok. Any advise? The sequence is: set bookmark, enable images with this bookmark, set direct access and pause transfer.

1.1K Posts

August 2nd, 2018 08:00

1. Use the -f flag.

2. No need to pause as direct image access does this anyway.

Regards,

Rich

675 Posts

August 2nd, 2018 11:00

Couple other comments

1) For direct image access, the set_image_access_mode (w/ mode=direct) command should be used. The -f flag can be used here as well in order for the process to be non-interactive

2) As stated, pause_transfer is not necessary when in direct IA as the direct image access process itself pauses transfer. That being said, pausing transfer would not fail so it shouldn't be the cause for what you're seeing

3) If you can paste the script you're trying to run, I believe it would be easier for me to see what root cause is.

Regards,

Idan

9 Posts

August 29th, 2018 08:00

I have changed the block of commands to the sequence of "read from file and execute" one by one by "plink.exe". So for "plink" it was always a oneliner. I have no idea why, but it of course works. So all RP tasks are now automated and scripts are ready to be used - if needed. For unknown reason if putty was invoked with a multiple lines command file to be executed remotely, on the recoverpoint was an error, - looks like corrupted lines. If command file for putty was one line - OK.

So the syntax was ok, but automation software was incompatible with RecoverPoint CLI.

From my point of view the syntax of RP CLI is not good or online documented. So the syntax of the "real world"  and from "CLI guide" are different.

General it was a success, thank you very much for help!  (In the opposite to the stupid "Trough which interface do you want to get the settings?" "Failed to execute step" on the second RP gen6  5.1(c.150) with vmax3     )

675 Posts

September 4th, 2018 03:00

You welcome Andrzej, feel free to email me if you have any feedback on the CLI guide or anything else.

Regards,

Idan Kentor

RecoverPoint Corporate Systems Engineering

idan.kentor@emc.com

No Events found!