Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

June 7th, 2017 04:00

RP4VM Modifying Wrong VM

I am setting up a new RP4M environment to replace our existing replication product that uses snapshots to periodically create a clone of the production VM at the DR site.

Our existing product has SERVERA cloning every 6 hours to SERVERA_STANDBY which will clone the VM settings and any changes to the VMDKs.  I used RP4VM to protect SERVERA which of course creates rp.SERVERA.copy.shadow.  I had 4 servers in the consistency group, did a test failover, and then finished.  All was successful.  However, when I finished, I noticed that RP4VM was modifying SERVERA_STANDBY because of the task entry "Reconfigured virtual Machine".  The two products login to vCenter with different accounts so it was easy to see that is was RP4M modifying the other replication software's VM which it should not have been doing.  I believe during my fail over test the other software refreshed the replication of SERVERA to SERVERA_STANDBY.

Any ideas why this is happening?  I looked a the .VMX files of the SERVERA_STANDBY but did not see any Recoverpoint entries.  Also the UUID was not the same as SERVERA.  Eventually this won't be an issue, but during the migration to RP4M I might have RP4M modifying the wrong VM's so I would like to prevent that.

1.1K Posts

June 8th, 2017 15:00

Hi Kent,

RP4VMs is modifying the Prod/Source VM, SERVERA, and the cloned VM will include the change to the settings, i.e. the vmx settings.

Regards,

Rich

29 Posts

June 12th, 2017 03:00

Rich,

Thank you for replying but RP4VM was modifying SERVERA_STANDBY which was the clone created by my other software.  Both applications have a unique login to vSphere so I was seeing the RP4VM login modify a VM that it should not be modifying by observing the Recent Tasks.

1.1K Posts

June 12th, 2017 06:00

If you can add more detail I can comment further.

Regards,

Rich

No Events found!