Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 31st, 2018 08:00

RP4VM - Replica of a VM with RDM issue

Hi,

I have a Windows VM, with RDMs, the RDM;s are approx 17TB in size, and other associated vmdk disks make the total size of the VM 20.1TB size.

I'm attempting to replicate this single VM in its own CG to another location, I have let RP4VM create the target VM.

The target datastore has approx 25TB of free space.

Im running RP4VM version 5.1.SP1.P4(d243). vcenter 6.5 U2, esxi 6.5 u2.

When the task starts, it gives an error on the task

Deploy OVF template - 'Insufficent diskspace on the datastore.(name of taget datastore)'

This is the 1st VM of this size i've attempted to replicate, and the 1st with RDM's.  What is RP4VM's calculating the space as, or am i trying to do something thats un-supported ?

If this should work, i'll log a support call for further investigation.

Thanks,

Steve

September 3rd, 2018 06:00

HI Idan,

I created a few extra GB of space on the target datastore, and tried again, and it then started initializing, and has since completed.

I think RP4VM was looking for a little bit more space than it had on my 1st attempt.

Its all looking good now.

Thanks,

Steve

675 Posts

September 3rd, 2018 06:00

Hi Steve,

This should indeed work as RPVM can replication from RDMs to VMDKs and vice versa (as well as RDM to RDM and VMDK to VMDK) . Couple of suggestions before opening a SR with support:

1) Check if the size of RDMs contain odd block count, one that VMDK cannot be created against (the replica has to be the exact size as prod).

2) To rule out this sort of issues, try to replicate to RDM by pre-configuring a VM with RDM of the exact same size as the prod RDM. Select that VM as an existing replica VM in the protect VM wizard

3) Try to select an existing replica VM (as #2) but this time with VMDK of the same size on the replica

Hope that helps,

Idan

675 Posts

September 4th, 2018 07:00

Hi Steve,

If this is vSAN, it's possible that not all of the capacity was available on the DS. Thanks for the update, glad I could be of help.

Regards,

Idan

4 Posts

March 26th, 2020 07:00

Do we still have limitation that, for RDM disks replication , the source and target LUNs should match exact bit/byte due to different storage vendors/models in rp4vm 5.2 too?.

This was a major issue in earlier versions. Sometimes reuqired to involve the experts to calculate  or adjust source/target LUNs to make it work for replication.

Also is the shared RDMs  (ex. Windows Fail over cluster) replication supported?

• 

6.9K Posts

March 26th, 2020 13:00

Hello Udaykr,

The limitation still is that the 2 need to match.  Here is the link to the administrator guide & if you look on page 45 it states that.  https://dell.to/3bu0eZi

I am not seeing that shared RDM replication is supported.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

675 Posts

April 1st, 2020 13:00

That's correct, we currently do not support shared VMDKs/RDMs but we would be introducing shared VMDK support soon so stay tuned.

18 Posts

April 14th, 2020 11:00

@Idan 

is there a particular product announcements page/social feed I can follow?  Shared VMDK replication is a critical feature for us.

bosco

675 Posts

April 19th, 2020 06:00

Stay tuned for the announcement of RPVM 5.3.

Hope that helps,

Idan

No Events found!