Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

4 Posts

June 2nd, 2022 07:00

RecoverPoint, SiteRecoveryManager and Point-In-Time Recovery

Hey guys, hoping to pick your collective brains on this one...

What we have:

we leverage RecoverPoint Gen6 appliances for Replication, but we use VMWare's SRM to manage / test and failover when necessary.  (Storage Replication Adapters are installed)

What we need:

when we test a failover, we'd like to be able to view and enable snapshots on a test-recovered vm over the last few days (as journalling allows).   

i know there are a few settings in Recoverpoint that need to be in place for this to happen, i think it's already set, but when i run the test, there are no snapshots available to the vm...  the setting(s) I have in place for this are under Protection -> Manage Protection -> CG -> DR's "Copy Policy" Tab

Pheeruppie_0-1654181164955.png

let me know what you think and/or if you need more information, thank you in advance.

• 

6.9K Posts

June 2nd, 2022 15:00

Hello Pheeruppie,

Here is a link to a kb that maybe of assistance. https://dell.to/3GRvvq3

June 2nd, 2022 18:00

Hey Sam, thanks for the reply, this is good info and helpful if we want to do a point in time restore using recoverpoint's 'test a copy' option, will keep that in the back pocket, but from what I understand in the vmware world, we can use SRM with vsphere replication to enable point in time snapshots on recovered VM's, i'm wondering if there's a way to use SRM with RecoverPoint replication to do the same.

• 

6.9K Posts

June 3rd, 2022 16:00

Hello Pheeruppie,

Let me look into this as I haven’t come across this before so not sure if it is possible or not.

675 Posts

June 7th, 2022 04:00

It's certainly possible to perform a DR test and bring up one of the PiTs in the target side in classic RP with or without SRM. RPVM has many advantages over SRM and VR, mainly on the replication side of things.

June 8th, 2022 08:00

yep   definitely and confirmed we did this using the RP test-a-recovery option to select a PiT image.  just wanted to see if integration with SRM (PiT recovery) as snapshots in the recovered VM were possible.

it's available with SRM using vsphere replication (although untested, we're not using vsphere rep anywhere)  so technically speaking, it should be do-able.   I have a ticket open with Dell/EMC and they're saying we need to install the VSI plugin in vcenter... not sure if this is the way to go tbh.

June 10th, 2022 13:00

So just a quick update, thanks for everyones help here, it turns out installing the VSI plugin enables the feature to recover a vm by a point in time via SRM, (without having to log into recoverpoint and change the SRM managed option to none)

it doesn't enable snapshots on the recovered VM as i thought it would, but through the plugin, it allows a selection of which date/time of the recovery group we want to recover.  then it's just a matter of running the recovery plan in SRM as a test, all done through the vsphere webclient.   screenshot of dell's VSI plugin for vsphere webclient below.   again thanks for the help everyone.  

Pheeruppie_0-1654893399073.png

No Events found!