Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2017 22:00

data level replication from VNX to Unity

Hello Team,    

I would like to know whether replication is supported from VNX to Unity. I was referring to "EMC UNITY: REPLICATION TECHNOLOGIES" (page 39)" document but it says RecoverPoint (BLOCK) supports this replication however I did not find any Tech Doc from RP perspective.

I would like to know whether :

1. Physical/ Virtual RP appliance is required for this Replication.

2. License Type for RP (like RP SE).

3. when it Says RP-BLOCK, does it mean only Block Level Replication is supported b/w VNX and UNITY.

Please do help me out with above queries, also share the link if any DOC has this Info.

286 Posts

May 22nd, 2017 06:00

Either physical or virtual will work. Virtual requires iSCSI modules in those arrays

RPSE will work , so will RPEX/RPCL

Yes, we only support block level replication, not file

2 Posts

May 23rd, 2017 02:00

Hello Ankur,

Thanks for your quick response, I will go ahead and Involve Concerned DELLEMC Team for the same.

Regards,

Harshith S

Technology Consultant

Ninth Dimension IT Solutions Pvt. Ltd.

No. L7, 6th Floor, Skywalk, No. 5/1

Assaye Road|Bangalore - 560042

Mobile: +91 7795667726

www.9thdimension.co.in

“CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this communication is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it. It may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to this email and then delete it from your system. Ninth Dimension is neither liable for the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt

December 1st, 2017 05:00

Hi Ankur,

I am doing a deployment for a customer with Unity and VNX 5400 using physical recoverpoint. I used RecoverPoint SE to create VNX and Unity cluster from deployment manager.

When I am trying to connect the cluster it shows some error in DM logs "Product type not similar or supported"

In the DM GUI it is just saying "contact support internal error"

Have you managed to see it working anywhere. Please help if you have any documentation or information.

Regards,

Swapnil

December 1st, 2017 05:00

Hi Harshith,

Have you managed to get any response on this.

Regards,

Swapnil

December 1st, 2017 06:00

Hi Rich,

Thanks for quick response. I needed clarification hence please help me to understand more.

I have

Site A: Unity with RecoverPoint Gen 6 appliances, I used Unitt/VNXe RecoverPoint/SE option to deploy cluster (it is same I used at another site when using Unity at both sites)

Site B: VNX 5400 with RecoverPoint Gen 6 appliance, I used VNX RecoverPoint/SE option to deploy cluster.

Are you saying I should select RecoverPoint/EX/CL (basically recoverpoint option from DM) for VNX array and Unity array?

Also do you mean that for Unity RecoverPoint or RecoverPoint/SE option does the same thing?

Please suggest. Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Swapnil

1.1K Posts

December 1st, 2017 06:00

Hi Pandey,

I can tell you what the issue is. As the Unity array is in the mix here, the VNX should have been installed as part of a full RP cluster and likewise for the Unity array as part it's RP cluster although the option for Unity does the same thing.

What the connect cluster message is complaining about is the attempted connection between an RP/SE cluster and an full RP cluster. This is not possible as both cluster need to be of the same type.

Regards,

Rich Forshaw,

RexocerPoint Corporate System Engineering

1.1K Posts

December 1st, 2017 07:00

Yes, use the "RP Install Wizard for Unity/VNXe" for the cluster with the Unity array and use the "RP Install Wizard" for the cluster with the VNX array.

I suggest you start over with the VNX cluster and make sure you remove the RP/SE objects that would have been auto-created on the array.

Regards,

Rich

December 1st, 2017 07:00

Thanks again for your prompt response, however wanted to clarify one thing,

in DM we have option for converting cluster (from SE to RecoverPoint and

Vice-versa) can we use that?

If yes will it be used for both clusters?

Sent: Friday, December 01, 2017 6:11 PM

To: Swapnil_Pandey

Subject: Re: - data level replication from VNX to Unity

DECN

data level replication from VNX to Unity

reply from forshr

in

RecoverPoint - View the full discussion

1.1K Posts

December 1st, 2017 08:00

Yes, you could convert the VNX RP/SE cluster to a full RP cluster and then perform the connect to the Unity cluster.

Regards,

Rich

December 1st, 2017 08:00

Thanks will try and update you on the same. Thanks for responding swiftly

though.

December 1st, 2017 09:00

It worked perfectly well.. I want to make your response as correct answer,

but for reason unable to login to ECN not sure why…

Thanks a lot for your help….

Sent: Friday, December 01, 2017 7:19 PM

To: jive-904212515-aetv-2-l8xm@emc-ecn.hosted.jivesoftware.com

Subject: Re: - data level replication from VNX to Unity

Thanks will try and update you on the same. Thanks for responding swiftly

though.

December 4th, 2017 05:00

This is correct answer, I think I am not owner of the post so I am unable to mark it correct, but want to put this comment to help others.

Thanks Rich

1.1K Posts

December 4th, 2017 09:00

Thanks Pandey.

No Events found!