Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 20th, 2011 11:00

Installing Replistor Exchange Module

Our TARGET Exchange 2003 server had a hardware RAID crash.  We have to rebuild it.

So I have some questions.

1.  Do I have to reinstall the Exchange module on the SOURCE server, or can I just shut the SOURCE down and proceed to rebuilding the TARGET?

2.  After configuring the TARGET server and starting replication, do I have to wait until the initial sync completes before activating the alias?

Thanks

106 Posts

April 21st, 2011 07:00

You only install the Exchange Module on one node but RS will copy some configuration automatically to the Target node so it basically installs the components on both nodes at once.

I forgot to mention one other thing - During the setup /disasterrecovery install you need to check the box that installs the Exchange management tools on the Target node.

JS

262 Posts

April 20th, 2011 23:00

Hi,

You will not need to install Exchange Module.

That only makes alias and virtual IP with the installer.

Please reinstall the target server by /disasterrecovery option.

Maybe, if the installation of the target doesn't end, alias will not be able to be activated.

106 Posts

April 21st, 2011 06:00

As mentioned, you do not have to "start over".  However a couple steps need to be added to the process.  Below are some high level steps that you need to follow to recover the Target node:

• Shut down Exchange on the Source node by ds-activationg the Alias on the Source node
  • Perform a full file by file backup if the Source node including all Exchange files even if they are on another attached drive
  • Shut down the Source node completely (this will prevent the possibility of duplicate names on the network
  • Rename the repaired Target node to the Alias name used by Outlook users to connect to Exchange and reboot that node
  • Once the Target node appears on the network named the Exchange Alias name you can proceed with re-installing Exchange using the setup /disasterrecovery switch (The above assume you are running Exchange 2003)
  • During the install Exchange may ask to restore the Exchange datastores - ignore that and allow the Installer to recreate empty datastores
  • Remember to apply any service packs or hotfixes so this node is patched at the same level as the Source node.
  • Remember to install the binaries and datastores in the same location the were .  You must used the same drive letters, etc. since the AD will be looking for them in the same place.
  • It would be good to test emails at this point just to make sure everything installed completely
  • Once Exchange is running again on the rebuilt Target node, rename the node back to its original name before you renamed it to the Alias name
  • Reboot both the Source and Targer nodes
  • Make sure you install RepliStor on the Target node before you continue
  • At this point you will need to remove the Exchange Module from the RS environment
  • Re-install the Exchange Module after confirming both the Source and Target installs of RS are behaving normally
  • Once the Exchange Module has been re-installed you may Activate the Alias on the Source machine

At that point you shoud have email running on your system.  However you cannot test failover until the Exchange datastores are completely replicated and mirroring is keeping it in-sync.  Plan a scheduled outage to test failover this first time.  Once you have failed over, remember you must wait for RS to complete the reverse sync back to the Source before you can fail back.

That is a lot to remember and hopefully I have not left out anything important.  If you have any additional questions please open a call with EMC support of bring them to this Forum.  Thanks

14 Posts

April 21st, 2011 07:00

Thanks for the info.  I have a follow up question.

When I did this a couple of years ago, I didn't install the Exchange module on the target server.  Do I need to do that to fail back after a failover?

No Events found!