Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

January 25th, 2012 23:00

MV/A : how to keep mirrors synchronous with huge updates

Hello EMC gurus,

My customer will move his target array to a new disaster recovery site.
He has already two AX4-5F arrays with Navisphere Manager and MirrorView Asynchronous.
Actually, both systems are on the same site, connected together by FC cables via EMC Connectrix switches.
The complete architecture works fine, and replication is fully operational, the mirrors are consistent and synchronized.
Now, the customer would like to move the target array to another building, with a 10 Mb dedicated telco line.

Also, he will have to update on the primary site several huge files one or two times a month.
If MV/A will synchronize these updates by the line, this will tale a long time, and I suppose that the mirrors will be never synchronized.

My question : I we know exactly the VMware files or Datastores updated, or if we isolate the files to be copied before to write them on primay array,
what is the correct procedure to copy these updates on both sites separately and outside the MV/A line, for example via a USB disk or tape which will be transferred separately to the remote site in the mirror.

The objective is to keep synchronization between primary and target LUNs, and the line will be ok for normal production purposes.

I know that this procedure is available for EMC Celerras, but I did not investigate it on Clariion.

Thank you very much for your feedback.
Best regards.
Raphlou

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

January 26th, 2012 00:00

How large are these updates ?

10Mbps is little more than 1MB per second, which is 86GB (let's say 100) per day. In 10 days 1TB of changed blocks can be sent accross the line. Remember that MV/A doesn't see files, but blocks, so exactly how many blocks will be changed each time ?

40 Posts

February 15th, 2012 06:00

Hello RRR,

I come back on my initial question, which comes from my customer :

If for example, the operator has to write 100 GB on a LUN on the primary AX4-5F array. The data are identified (for example a USB disk). This situation will be met twice a month only.

If he writes on the primary array, the data will be copied to the secondary array over the DSL line, and this will take too much time.

We are looking a procedure or a solution to keep the mirror consistent, but with this manual update done separately outside the DSL line (for example the same USB disk transferred to the remote site).

At this time, the RAID Groups have exactly the same organization on both arrays, but this can change in the future.

Do you have a procedure or a tool to register the blocks modified after fracture on the primary array, to transfer them to the remote site before resynchronizing ?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Best regards.

Raphlou

February 16th, 2012 22:00

Ralphlou,

No we do not have any tools available or feature of MirrorView that would allow you to manually update the remote mirror to keep the sessions synchronized.

No Events found!