Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 25th, 2010 13:00

Empowering SAP Technical Teams (Basis and DBAs)

As a Basis Admin or SAP DBA are there tasks you would like to perform as needed and when needed versus requesting those tasks from another operational group?

I'm starting this discussion because it seems we are on our way to a convergence of business applications such as SAP and the Infrastructure (servers, network and storage) that support business applications.

For example as the Basis Admin or the DBA would you prefer to provision storage if you had a way to do this from the SAP GUI?  Would you like to have the ability to replicate data (full copies or snapshots) that could be used as a new sandbox system, or for short-term training instance?  Would it save time and be valuable to your projects if you could perform these tasks from within SAP?

Would love to hear what you think.  Let us know your role, and what kinds of tasks you would like to be empowered to manage as a member of the SAP technical team at your organization.

February 5th, 2010 13:00

I think that most Basis and DBAs use lots of external tools, and with a few exceptions, none of them are integrated into the SAP Solutions Manager which is the one tool that all Basis people and quite a few DBAs use.

I would like to know what EMC tools are currently integrated with the SAP Solutions Manager (I am not aware of any) and are there any plans to integrate our tools and solutions into the Solutions Manager.

I want to add to your question "as the Basis Admin or the DBA would you prefer to provision storage if you had a way to do this from the SAP GUI" and change it to " would you want to be able to invoke the storage provisioning tool from the Solutions Manager" and have the results logged in the SAP system log?  Would such an integration be useful to your daily work?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 9th, 2010 06:00

As a former Basis Admin one of my most frustrating task was system copies.  It required a lot of coordination between the storage admins and backup admins.  I agree with Philly_SAPguy,  It would have been great to invoke the storage provisioning tool from the Solutions Manager.  This would have save me a lot of time.   I also wish I had the EMC Intelligent Cloning for SAP at my last job, this would have saved a lot of weekend work for me.

Check out EMC's Intelligent Cloning for SAP:

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/appmanager/km/secureDesktop?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=query1&internalId=0b014066802dc24c&_irrt=true&rnavid=0b014066802b62b9

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 9th, 2010 14:00

Thanks RockJoseph!  It is always good to hear experiences from Basis Admins.   It's been a while since my Basis days.  When I think back, I really believe most Basis folks would rather have more time for themselves and their families on the weekends rather than working.

Getting back to Philly_SAPguy's comments - what would you choose?

Would you want to execute a routine infrastructure process like adding storage or making a replica from Solutions Manager, and have the results get logged in SAP system logs?

Does this empower the Basis team to get stuff done when they need it and exactly the way they want it?  Does it simplify or streamline the work of a Basis Admin or DBA?

No Events found!