Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 25th, 2016 01:00

scaleIo next update

scaleio 1.32 is out there for a while now and scaleio 1.33 is only available for scaleIO node.

Can we expect a scaleIO 1.34 soon, and if yes which new features can we expect.

I mean yes in performance scaleIO is better that the other but we lack some features particularly for europe like metro cluster or auto tiering.

And please can you develop your own replication mechanism and not use a vplex or recoverpoint. It's hard to say ok we will built an hyper converged system but we need this and that to make replication when the other are everything integrated

Regards

February 25th, 2016 02:00

Hi,

ScaleIO version 2.0 release has new benefits and features.

- New Gui functionality.

- Non-Disruptive upgrade.

- Improved MDM resiliency (increases the number of MDMs to 5).

- Enhanced Data Protection and Security (AD/LDAP authentication, SSL, plus IPV6 support).

- XtremCache Deployment and Management.

- Additional OS support (Unbuntu).

The expected GA for this release is 29/2, but this may change.

Hope this helps.

51 Posts

February 25th, 2016 04:00

nice that's good to hear that.

do you have an idea about replication or metro cluster features?

16 Posts

February 25th, 2016 08:00

At this time ScaleIO Product Management is in discussions with other teams regarding replication / metro support.

In the meantime, there several hypervisor- and application-based replication options available to ScaleIO customers.

Hypervisor-based:

- EMC RecoverPoint for VMs

- VMware vSphere Replication

- Microsoft Hyper-V Replica

Application-based:

- Oracle Data Guard

- Microsoft SQL Server AlwaysOn Availability Groups (AAGs)

- Microsoft Exchange Data Availability Groups (DAGs)

11 Posts

February 25th, 2016 10:00

What versions of ScaleIO 1.32 are supported to upgrade to version 2.0?

Steve

16 Posts

February 25th, 2016 11:00

It's my understanding that all versions of 1.3x will be able to perform NDU to 2.0.  Can someone from ENG confirm?

February 25th, 2016 23:00

So one of the features mentioned is: - Non-Disruptive upgrade.

What's different from the NDU we have now within the 1.32 version, or from 1.32 to 2.0 (this should be confirmed, a disruptive upgrade from 1.3x to 2.0 would be.... not acceptable I'd say)

February 26th, 2016 00:00

I think the only way to do it nowadays is to work with fault sets. If this were to be developed further in a way that you can also work with 2 fault sets, you could create a stretched cluster. I'd like this too

51 Posts

February 26th, 2016 00:00

yeah i know that we can use a lot of external tools.

But none of them can be used for stretch cluster (i think we can use falconstor for that because falconstor support iscsi), but the fact is:

vsan -> stretch cluster

nutanix -> integrated replication and stretch cluster

simplivity -> integrated replicaton

I mean it's hard to explain to a customer, hum ok if you want replication you will need to buy an external tools.

16 Posts

February 26th, 2016 06:00

NDU was updated so that 1.3x to 2.0 non-disruptive upgrades can be supported.

51 Posts

February 26th, 2016 07:00

yeah i know that by having 3 identical sites and with 3 faults sets we can have a stretch cluster.

But it means that you have to let the spare space a 33%, so it means that it will be like your data will be protected 3 times, and in that case it will start to become quite expensive.

Particularly for full sdd environment

February 28th, 2016 00:00

Confirmed -> NDU from 1.32.X to 2.0 will be supported for v2.0

51 Posts

February 28th, 2016 13:00

ok,

let see the full release notes tomorrow.

thanks for all the informations. It's great to see that scaelio is still indeveloppement.

I was afraid that emc don't want to have a real sds (example v 1.33 only for scaleio node)

11 Posts

February 29th, 2016 13:00

I can see the locked download link for scaleio version 2.0.  When will this software be released to non-production/test users?

Steve

51 Posts

March 1st, 2016 00:00

i like some of the new features,

particularly the 5 mdm, the read ssd cache (do you intend to implement write cache too?), and the multiple sds on the same node.

But that's quite wird because on storage review i saw announcement of dssd and new vmax ssd but nothing on scaleIO.

I hope that emc will start to push scaleIO (maybe through vce) like they have done for isilon

March 2nd, 2016 23:00

There's a growing cooperation between VCE + ScaleIO -> In case you missed it VxRack runs ScaleIO.
Read more about it here: EMC VxRack Node powered by ScaleIO: Scaled Sysbench OLTP Performance Review (2-layer) | StorageReview.com - Storage Revi…

No Events found!